Raising UPVC door due to new carpet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I recently made a switch from laminate flooring to carpet and unfortunately my front UPVC door is catching slightly on the carpet. Its an external door and I would guess is approximately 10-15 years old

My question is whether it's possible to raise the level of the door by 5mm or so with this hinge arrangements. Alternatively is it possible to plane a UPVC door?

Here's some photos to show what I'm dealing with

Thanks

Sponsored Links
There's no adjustments on the hinges, so....

Option 1. Toe n heal the door higher, enabling the door to clear the carpet, you may need to move the keeps on the frame to suit the new higher position of the door.
Option 2. Not ideal but cut 10mm of bottom of the door, shouldn't effect the efficiency or performance and won't really notice if cut straight
Option 3. Cut into the carpet a welcome mat, this would need to be set in slightly lower than the carpet to gain clearance

Don't tell me, carpet right, right??

There's no adjustments on the hinges, so....

Option 1. Toe n heal the door higher, enabling the door to clear the carpet, you may need to move the keeps on the frame to suit the new higher position of the door.
Option 2. Not ideal but cut 10mm of bottom of the door, shouldn't effect the efficiency or performance and won't really notice if cut straight
Option 3. Cut into the carpet a welcome mat, this would need to be set in slightly lower than the carpet to gain clearance

Don't tell me, carpet right, right??

Sponsored Links
tbh i would check the profile/construction of the door before contemplating taking even a few mm off the bottom. many door profiles have a seal around the entire edge including the bottom that contributes to keeping drafts etc out. if this is compromised the efficiency of the door could be also.

see pic:

//media.diynot.com/174000_173405_51587_94496789_thumb.jpg

Hi Guys

Appreciate the help. I've only just had a chance to return home & check for replies

I can confirm that the laminate flooring has been removed, but the combination of Carpet and underlay is sitting higher than before.

As for heel/toe - I'll have a look on youtube and see if there is any examples. From its description I assume it's simply a case of wiggling the door up the frame slightly? If an adjustment doesn't work should I look into replacement hinges or is this no possible with UPVC doors?

PS. I actually got this from United Carpets although Carpet Right have a very similar version!

Take the fixings out of the door and cut the sealant off, then wedge the frame up a bit and refix in new holes, if there's not much room to go up then take out the whole door and frame cut 10-15mm off the top then refit higher :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back