Raising window sill - concrete?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, after fitting new work tops, I need to raise the level of the window sills to allow fitting of one those matching low spash backs (long story :rolleyes: ).
I am thinking of putting a shuttering across the front of the sill and raising the level with concrete / screed.
I only have about 2 to 3cm available to raise it before I get too far up the window frames, near to the glass.

Will screed be ok for this with tiles on top?

Thanks,
Oscar

Sponsored Links
Why not just screw down a couple of bits of 2x1 and top with a small piece of ply or plasterboard and save yourself a lot of mucking about?

Why not just screw down a couple of bits of 2x1 and top with a small piece of ply or plasterboard and save yourself a lot of mucking about?
The other window is behind the sink and I was worried about the wet getting in there.

Hi, after fitting new work tops, I need to raise the level of the window sills to allow fitting of one those matching low spash backs (long story :rolleyes: ).
Yes i can see what you are up against. Some buffoon has nibbled the green tiles away in the reveal so that their job could be done but left the majority of the tile behind! Now some poor bloke is gonna have to hammer and chisel in there right over those juicy new work tops. :rolleyes:

Work tops finish at a standard height the length and breadth of the country. Seems odd were you not aware of the standard 910mm work top height?

Sponsored Links
Why not take the splashback around the corer to the window frame?

Cope with that bit parallel to the window and almost flush with the worktop with some sort of beading (eg tiling bead...?)

How about an offcut of worktop as a window sill, packed up to match the height of the upstand?

I would return the upstand into the reveal, and trim the depth of the upstand in the reveal to match the existing sill height.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back