Ramp extension drying problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi:

I'm a disabled electric wheelchair user who recently moved into a ramped housing association property, but due to a very narrrow landing area found it very difficult to get into the property. So I requested that the housing association extend the landing area which they duly did via an outside contractor. To begin with I was very happy with the job and left the ramp extension to cure 5 days rather than the 24 hours advised by the contractor before driving on it.

But almost a month later:
  1. Noticing large damp patches in the ramp surface
  2. I am sweeping up alot of sand from the ramps surface on a daily basis
  3. Leaving wheelchair tire tracks in the ramp surface.
  4. Am able to scratch the damp surface with my fingernail.

I'm no contractor but even I know that even after a week this shouldnt happen. Could the appalling weather that happened after it was laid wind and rain be causing these problem as the extension was partly uncvered because of this. Or did the contractor use too much agregate or sand in the mix? As it is drying, the parts that are a light brown in colour rather than the grey I was expecting.

In the past, relatives have laid ramps that I could drive trucks on within 24 hours, what has gone wrong with this "professionally" laided extention?

Any ideas about what has gone wrong and what needs to happen to fix it are welcome. As I dont want to be left with a gouged and unusable ramp?

Hopefully this wouldn't as I have informed the housing association of the problem and they said they'd send their contractor out to look at the problem but Im not expecting anything this side of christmas.

Thanks, in advance.

Sponsored Links
a photo would help, but either way concrete should be rock solid after this time. If not it could be a few things, but it definitely needs redoing.
  • out of date cement
  • not enough cement
  • frozen materials during/after laying
  • contamination of the sand
  • rain washed the cement out of the mixture, or too much water in the mix
  • not mixed properly
  • not enough water/dried out too quickly

Thanks for the reply, definitely confirms my thoughts, hopefuily doesn't need to be completely dug up as it was poured after a brick retaining wall was built not to mention being stuck in while it cures again. But as I've just noticed not only do my wheels disturb the surface but people waiting for me to answer my front door does as well (footprints). Its more than likely the contractor will have to redo it again.

I bet it's a combination of the mix and the weather.

Did they mix it in barrow or a machine?

Sponsored Links
They used a cement mixer but I think as you said due to the weather and the mix, the cement has dusted, leaving the top layer to crumble like breadcrumbs. Hopefully the contractor will see this and wet angle grind the surface and relay a cement coat over the top or at least chemically seal the concrete to stop the dusting

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back