sloping extension concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

As a newbie, I am looking for advice on screeding my kitchen floor. Have searched the archive but still have a few questions.

The property is a 1930's semi with kitchen extension added on to the rear. The extension floor is a concrete slab with DPC and is dry. There is an archway through what was the external cavity.

The original builder got the slab height wrong and when they broke through there was a 2" height difference with the internal suspended wood floor. In true bodger style they flaired out the hight difference over a few feet so there is a nice ramp into the rest of the house.

I now want to run laminate flooring through both rooms and need to get both floors at the same height.

First question is how do I cope with screeding from 2 inches at the far end of the room tapering down to zero at the threshold to the wood floor? I know that the new slab can not be less than 15-20mm otherwise it will crack so should I batten off the 'ramp' area, cast up to it, let it cure and then use a leveling compound to flatten out the ramp?

The alternaive I suppose is to chip out the ramp and create a step to accomodate the new screed.

Minor problem, there is a fully fitted kitchen on the slab at the moment, any tricks to avoid having to strip out all the units?

All comments gratefully received

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back