screed depth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I’m in the process of extending the rear of my house and am fitting a wet under floor heating system which will be insulated and covered by 75mm of screed
The house is a 1930’s house and the extension is to the existing kitchen which sits on a concrete slab
Having done the groundworks it’s clear that the existing concrete slab is neither insulated nor damp proofed.

Rather than have a cold/damp kitchen floor, I would like to heat and insulate as best I can the existing concrete floor by taking the existing red-brick polished tiles off the top of the existing concrete slab, this will give me approx. 30mm of height to play with compared to the new finished floor level. I want to then apply a liquid damp proof ‘paint’ to the concrete, then a 10mm insulation board, followed by an electric under floor heating element – then when I have the screed put on the new floor, I will have it applied to the old floor too to level the entire area before tiling

My questions are these:

1. Will I have any issues using the same screed over a two floors of differing heights and differing thermal characteristics?
2. Is 30 mm enough depth to do what I want – or should I be looking at an alternative to screed – perhaps some sort of levelling compound – if so – given what I’m trying to achieve can anyone recommend which type?

Thanks
Phil

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back