random loss of TV signal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Hoping you might be able to help. We moved into a house a few months ago and everything was OK with the TV signal. We had someone in to put in a new boiler and tank (should be unrelated) and now the TV signal disappears intermittently.

The set up (to me) seems a bit convoluted. We have an aeriel on the roof, an amplifier in the loft which goes into a 4 way splitter. When the signal goes off from the TV, the light on the amplifier is still on so that is apparently working, connections don't look lose.

The house was built in the late 80s/early 90s. Slightly oddly, the power point for the amplifier goes via the immersion tank in the airing cupboard on the floor below (still happening now).

Not sure what to do next? any ideas

Sponsored Links
I assume that when you are loosing the signal, that it effects all of the TV's connected to the amplifier.

The first test I would try is to connect the aerial direct to the main TV only, without going through the amplifier. A simple connector costing less than £1 will enable you to do this without removing the coax plugs. If the problem has gone, then try reconnecting the amplifier, but instead of using the immersion supply, plug it into an extension lead connected to a socket elsewhere in the house. If the problem comes back when you do this, then the amplifier is at fault, if not, it's likely the wiring set up, or interference.

We had a similar problem last year and eventually called OFCOM in. After several visits they traced it to our neighbours oven, which was intefering with the signal. If you get them involved and it's something in your house that is causing the problem they will charge you. Thermostats are a common source of interference, so if you could rule them out that might help. As well as room thermostats, they are fitted to boilers, fridges freezers, water heaters etc.,

We did try it with another supply (using an extension lead)

Just that we have a new boiler I wonder if it is the interfering. What did you end up doing to get rid of the interference from your neighbours oven?

Sponsored Links
Ofcom wrote to them, told them what the problem was and gave them a certain length of time to get it fixed.

It was quite interesting really, Ofcom had to visit several times to track down the interference, as the neighbours weren't always cooking when they came. The technician went next door with some sort of detector and was allowed in to determine the problem, but he wouldn't tell us anything other than they had located the source and would serve notice on those responsible.

We have a good relationship with our neighbours so they told us afterwards, we offered to contribute towards the cost of them having repairs made but they declined. The oven was actually fixed before the letter arrived from Ofcom. Ofcom then contacted us to ensure the problem was sorted we confirmed it was and all is well.

I think Ofcom is one of the threatened Quango's so move fast if you wish to use their services.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back