Range Anxiety

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Surely the suppliers of the charging systems will recover the set-up and running costs from the fees charged to users.

Regulated industries usually have a formula for determining what costs can be added.

Unless, of course, some government decides to hand out a subsidy funded by the taxpayer.

It reads as if this is a public i.e. governmental responsibility/ tax-payer cost. I am not entirely on-board with that unless the costs are amortised in the charging rates.
Agreed. However the important fact is that the whole set-up will be easy to obtain power with the simplicity of a credit (Debit/NFC) card; No additional apps, subscriptions or anything else that locks the user into a specific supplier. And with that spacing of charge points (60Km/38M) on the principle roads even the smallest battery equipped EV will be Abe to travel extended distances.
It's just what this country needs.

Agreed. However the important fact is that the whole set-up will be easy to obtain power with the simplicity of a credit (Debit/NFC) card; No additional apps, subscriptions or anything else that locks the user into a specific supplier. And with that spacing of charge points (60Km/38M) on the principle roads even the smallest battery equipped EV will be Abe to travel extended distances.
It's just what this country needs.

I watched the above yesterday and was surprised that so many charging points are out of operation: I thought that was an early phenomenon and this problem would have been fixed now. The charge rate of the charging points is very important ( and putting in fast-chargers everywhere would be hugely expensive needing supply cabling to be uprated. ) as you may be stuck there for several hours ata slow charger, during which time other cars can obviously not be charged.

In the above video it takes about 7 hours to cover 145 miles. ( Ipswich to Mansfield ) In some places ( supermarkets and petrol-stations ) he had to move off still needing charge, otherwise risking a parking fine for over-staying fixed maximum time-limits. As he says in the video, he was lucky that he had work to do on his lap-top, otherwise he would just have been wasting time and been hideously bored/drinking and eating lots to kill time.

The ease of payment you forsee may also be illusory. Many car-parks are currently eliminating card-payment options because of the cost of phone-lines and requiring use of a mobile. This, in turn, requires a phone signal and , as also illustrated in the video, this is not always available.

Last edited:
The ease of payment you forsee may also be illusory. Many car-parks are currently eliminating card-payment options because of the cost of phone-lines and requiring use of a mobile. This, in turn, requires a phone signal and , as also illustrated in the video, this is not always available.
Ease of paying (by 'phone app) being illusory does seem to a British thing - getting locked into various apps some of which are incompatible how soon does the phone become overloaded or you have to delete one before a second will work? (I speak from experience as I worked in a 'device' (cell phone) qualification role for several years).
As for the cost of 'phone connections I see some, smaller retailers moving away from card payments back to cash because of the costs of accepting card payments (Bank/Card reader/data call charges - 3 charges for one payment).

On my 'phone I have the ability to pay for car parking - it's a bloody PIA, every time I need to use it I have change the 'preferred' car park to where I am at present. I've even tried changing my 'phone to to make it easier and the system still comes up with the same difficulty. I know I'm not the only person finds it a difficult means of paying.

Ease of paying (by 'phone app) being illusory does seem to a British thing - getting locked into various apps some of which are incompatible

Yes, this is terrible. Imagine living in a world where phones and other portable devices all had different chargers and cables.

If only it was possible to have a single method of connection and payment. Better still if it worked in multiple countries, and they all had the right to contribute to the decision.

Somebody should do that.

I watched the above yesterday and was surprised that so many charging points are out of operation:
The first minute of that video tells you everything you need to know.
Angry man parks too far away from the charger and complains that the cable doesn't reach. Moving the car forward 50cm would have resolved that self-made problem.

That charger was in Bury St Edmunds, 30 miles from Ipswitch.
Geniepoint does require the use of an app, RFID card or via their website.
However plenty of other networks do not, including the Instavolt charger less than 2 miles away.

and weve replaced it with the tyranny of a puppet govt owned by libertarian lobby groups

if you own a biggish company and want the govt to change policy, taxes, laws for your benefit, just bung the govt a few quid

Play your cards right and they might throw in a peerage

As Boris' chum, multimillionaire Lord Lebedev might confirm. Baron of Hampton and Siberia (he is a Russian citizen).

Or the multimillionaire Bra Baroness. Made a handsome fortune from useless PPE, channeled through a network of offshore family accounts.

How much time was he allowed?

OOI, how long was his journey, and what was his charging status when he set out?
How much time was he allowed?

OOI, how long was his journey, and what was his charging status when he set out?
"In the above video it takes about 7 hours to cover 145 miles. ( Ipswich to Mansfield )"

In a BP garage it was 30 minutes and in a Tesco supermarket three hours> Starting out with 20-30 miles IIRC.

Sponsored Links
Back