Range Tribune HE - makes a repeated knocking noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Our range tribune has recently started making a repeated knocking/clicking/chugging noise when the boiler kicks-in in the morning, and it sounds as if it's trying to get going, then eventually does get going into normal whooshing/pumping noise. It has been getting steadily worse and this morning was going on and on and on! I have just had a play with it and it seems to be related to one of the white control boxes - one with a turning red gear in it.

Can anyone suggest a potential solution or known fault with these things? If I had to replace it - what part would it be, and is it something a 'non-techie' could do?

Many thanks in advance!

Matt

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately you have not well described either your system or what is actuallt making the noise.

It sounds as if you may have no or little water in your boiler system but as you have given no details of this I cannot advise.

Tony

The white box with the red gear is what's known as a zone valve. When power is applied to it (typically by a timer) it opens the valve allowing water to flow through the cylinder and triggers the pump/boiler to activate.

Failure of this part could be down to a number of reasons with differing solutions. It could be as simple as swapping the head over for a new one (i.e. not performing any work involving the water side).

With your self-admission of being a 'non techie' I would recommend you get someone in to check it out. Labour costs shouldn't be too high as it will likely be a fairly straightforward fix.

Mathew

Sponsored Links
Hi guys,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Is there anything in particular that I could tell you to help diagnose?

Looking at some pictures, it looks like it could well be the zone valve, as it seems to vibrate noisily when the boiler kicks in. I think it might well be a good idea to get someone to take a look. Do you know if I need a special 'range' engineer or will any plumber be able to help?

Thanks

Matt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back