Raspberry Pi cctv install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everybody,
After having tried a couple of different IP cameras and being thoroughly unimpressed with the software, I've decided to try my hand at using a raspberry pi mounted inside a dummy CCTV case, with a separate IR illuminator.
My question is around the power requirements and specifically how to run this externally.
Assuming I use something like this for the pi, and this for the IR illuminator, can I simply cut the cables in half to thread them through the exterior wall and then rejoin them?
Also, are will these cables be ok tacked to an exterior wall, or will I need some kind of armour / weather proofing?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You could cut and rejoin the power lead, but you would be better off buying the connectors and fitting them to an exact length of cable that you need.
The USB lead has five separate conductors and it would be a very messy job to rejoin and insulate them.

Why are you so keen on using a very small hole? You may have trouble finding a small diameter drill that is long enough to go through the wall.

Drill a hole large enough to feed the USB through, seal it with silicone and then if necessary cover it up with plastic conduit holding the outside cables.

I thought it would be easier with a small hole. Maybe I'll go for a bigger one then, it would save some hassle I suppose.
Would those cables be OK outside or would they need some sort of protection?
Also, when drilling through an exterior wall should I be using a small pilot hole to prevent brick blast out or is "taking it easy" enough?

The cables will survive outside for a few years, but it's best to put them in a conduit for protection. Even the cheap plastic type is better than nothing.
If you choose the correct drill for the type of wall, it won't need a pilot.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies so far.

A friend suggested that I may be able to utilise an existing (redundant) cat5e cable to power these devices by splicing the pairs with the appropriate power supplies at the other end. So that would be a 1A 12V for the IR illuminator and a 1A 5V for the raspberry pi. The cat5e is 30M and 24awg.
Would that be safe, having two separate power supplies running through one cat5e cable?
Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back