Rat poison being ignored

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've used rat poison in the past but it seems it's no longer effective (possibly not being eaten). My mum says that the pest control guy from the council says that this is normal but it costs £10 for this guy to come out and put down some of his special (irresistable?) poison. Is it not possible to get "special council poison" from somewhere else, because this seems like quite an espensive way to get it. The stuff we used previously was £10 per kilo from B&Q.

Sponsored Links
the mice in my garage loved peanut butter ... could you cover it in peanut butter?

You wont pay ten quid to get rid of rats. Good grief the mind boggles. The old rat poison that you could buy contained Warfarin. When the rats ate it they bled to death internally. Unfortunately rats are becoming immune to Warfarin. I don't know what pest controllers use now but £10 sounds like an absolute bargain to me. It cost us £32 to get someone out to get rid of a wasp nest a couple of summers ago.

Try PestcontrolSupermarket.com They have a large range of products to meet your needs .

Sponsored Links
Rats are very greedy and will eat just about anything, I doubt your poison is being ignored though it should be placed so as to be able to monitor it.

It's not just £10; it's £10 per portion; £10 every time we hear a scratching/gnawing sound. They're going to keep coming back because, I presume, the neighbourhood has a reservoir. It's a much more frequent issue than wasps. The mind boggles that you don't realise that one visit from pest control will not resolve this problem forever.

Also, as far as we know, they're currently confined to the wooden box thing which surrounds the sewer pipe. They're not eating the poison which we put outside of that box but we can hear them going up and down inside it. I drilled a hole into that box to deliver poison but in order to inspect/monitor their consumption of the poison I'd have to make the hole big enough for them to get out. I'd rather just add poison every few months or any time that their presence is heard.

Unfortunately, PestcontrolSupermarket.com seems to only sell the same poison as B&Q (Bromadiolone).

Last edited:
Try these methods. They are very effective. I've tried all three (used plain flour instead of cornmeal). You will have to repeat the plaster of paris doses every day as it goes off, but it is worth the effort. I had quite a bad infestation at the top of my garden about 6 months ago and a combination of all three methods wiped them out.

https://www.wikihow.com/Make-Rat-Poison

It's not just £10; it's £10 per portion; £10 every time we hear a scratching/gnawing sound. They're going to keep coming back because, I presume, the neighbourhood has a reservoir. It's a much more frequent issue than wasps. The mind boggles that you don't realise that one visit from pest control will not resolve this problem forever.

Also, as far as we know, they're currently confined to the wooden box thing which surrounds the sewer pipe. They're not eating the poison which we put outside of that box but we can hear them going up and down inside it. I drilled a hole into that box to deliver poison but in order to inspect/monitor their consumption of the poison I'd have to make the hole big enough for them to get out. I'd rather just add poison every few months or any time that their presence is heard.

Unfortunately, PestcontrolSupermarket.com seems to only sell the same poison as B&Q (Bromadiolone).
The boxing will not have access from below so the rats are unable to reach anything you pour in, they will be under the floor boards.

Roast chicken on a rat trap worked for me. I tried everything, including cheese and chocolate for the traps and several DIY store poisons. A colleague suggested it to me. On a Sunday he would throw the chicken leftovers in the middle of the lawn and sit in a deck chair with an air rifle. Cats also work, or if you are a dog person a Jack Russell.

Get waxed bait blocks (Big Cheese blocks are good) and tie to a piece of wire, drop in the hole and inspect every few days.
E-Bay will have them in stock if you cant get them locally.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back