Rat population?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
[url=http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0 said:
The brown rat population has surged by 39 per cent in 2005 according to the National Pest Technicians Association. It said that fortnightly collections and the widespread use of composting bins was exacerbating the problem. The problem would get worse as more councils switched to compulsory recycling, the association said.

The rise will force a revision of how far every person is from a rat. Last year Londoners were estimated never to be more than 18 metres (20 yards) from a rat; the new figures suggest that the distance is now closer to 14 metres.

The 2006 National Rodent Survey highlighted compost bins, discarded fast-food containers, bird feeders, litter and poor maintenance of sewage pipes as some of the main causes of the rat boom. Other prime factors cited by the report are the rise in councils demanding payment for pest control and water companies failing to take sufficient action against the rodents infesting their sewers. More homes are also being infested by house mice, Mus domesticus, the survey found, with a 14 per cent increase identified.
Recycling = cost = increase in rodent population = more cost... Who is running UK very Ltd are they crass amateurs - at best??
Having said that, and being a country boy, there are no 'messy' items in our bins - Items washed or newspaper wrapped as appropriate.
:(
:confused:

Sponsored Links
The figures about being so many metres from a rat are surely daft. Have they not just divided the area of the country by the number of rats and give each rat an equal area? I can't think of any other way that they could have come up with such a figure. I'm not disputing that the number has risen but the idea that rats are closing in on us seems a bit far fetched.

gcol said:
The figures about being so many metres from a rat are surely daft. Have they not just divided the area of the country by the number of rats and give each rat an equal area? I can't think of any other way that they could have come up with such a figure. I'm not disputing that the number has risen but the idea that rats are closing in on us seems a bit far fetched.

Of course it is ... But then 'they' actually said..
Last year Londoners were estimated never to be more than 18 metres (20 yards) from a rat; the new figures suggest that the distance is now closer to 14 metres.
:D :D

70 million brown rats are now estimated to be scurrying around Britain

:eek:

Sponsored Links
masona said:
70 million brown rats are now estimated to be scurrying around Britain

:eek:

I'm surprised that the BNP have not focused on them as "illegal Immigrants". In the time I have been in the UK, this seems to be all the BNP care about. :LOL:

Cannot disagree with the figures about the explosion of the Rat population I'm afraid it comes down to humans and their disgusting take away food habits and also the weekly bin collections going up the spout and all for recycling, *******s!!!

ETHunter said:
I'm surprised that the BNP have not focused on them as "illegal Immigrants".
We could probably get them all arrested, given the recent changes in the powers of arrest in the UK. ;)

Sponsored Links
Back