UK a shoplifters paradise?

At the end of the day, if there is a demand for stolen goods among the population, then there are those who will supply those goods.
Its is the same with drugs, no point in burning poppy fields in Afghanistan if the use of drugs is endorsed and even glamorised by celebrities and large sections of the public.
This is a very valid point.

Ever been offered cheap stuff and accepted? Then you are part of the problem

Sponsored Links
They're not powerful, we are weak.
We've let them, a 0.1% of the population, impose what's right and wrong.
Just watch any YouTube video showing an arrest being made.
The criminals all scream "you can't touch me"!
They have been convinced that a police officer arresting them cannot touch them, FFS!
And in those videos there are usually snowflakes screaming "police brutality".
They should go to places like greece and france to realise what a police officer looks like and how they should act.

Schrodingers snowflake - you call them weak and sensitive to anything and then also call them powerful and overbearing.

This is a very valid point.

Ever been offered cheap stuff and accepted? Then you are part of the problem
This holds true even for legal goods.

'Oh it's terrible reading about people used almost like slave labour, just terrible. Anyway, here's the t-shirt I told you about, nice eh? Got 3 for a tenner ...'

Sponsored Links
This holds true even for legal goods.

'Oh it's terrible reading about people used almost like slave labour, just terrible. Anyway, here's the t-shirt I told you about, nice eh? Got 3 for a tenner ...'
Not quite the same but I get your point.

Britons are turning to crime as the cost of living crisis drags on, with theft of meat, alcohol and confectionery from shops last year at a decade-high, according to new data.

More than 1.1mn incidents of theft were recorded in 2022, up from 970,000 the year before, reaching its highest level in a decade, according to a report by the Association of Convenience Stores published on Thursday.

James Lowman, chief executive of ACS which represents small shops across the UK, said the levels of theft happening daily were “unprecedented”. “Repeat offenders, known to the community and known to the police, are stealing without fear of reproach,” he added.

More people are committing crimes in response to the worst cost of living crisis for a generation as many households struggle to afford basic daily items as prices continue to rise.

The report comes after new data released on Wednesday showed that inflation remained stuck at 8.7 per cent in May, worse than the 8.4 per cent expected, raising pressure on the Bank of England to ramp up interest rates.

A rise in gang activity and people with addiction problems stealing to fund their drug or alcohol habits had fuelled crime rates, the report found. Higher-value shop products, such as meat or alcohol, can typically be sold on.

Although food price inflation dipped from 19 per cent in April to 18.3 per cent last month, the cost of food itself in supermarkets still rose 0.9 per cent in May alone.

Stores have limited the number of items on their shelves in recent months to reduce the risk of items being stolen, as well as adding security tags to food items such as steaks, cheese and butter.

Almost 80 per cent of retailers surveyed by the ACS, which has around 48,000 members, said the cost of living crisis was driving theft, with a majority of store staff having experienced verbal abuse over the past year.

Local shops are calling on the police and government to introduce a “most wanted” list of shop thieves in local areas, so prolific offenders can be identified and banned from stores or referred to rehabilitation programmes.

Fiona Malone, who runs Tenby Stores, a local independent store in Wales, said: “Many of the people stealing from my shop are known to the community and the police. We need to do a better job at tackling these offenders and bringing them to justice.

Unfortunately, shop thieves know that the police rarely take notice of anything stolen under £50 in value.”

What!

Took my mate back to the airport this morning. He's an Australian living in Tel Aviv. He tells me that prices are on the increase there too, and Australia

The difference is they don't have as many like you who are apologists for criminals.

Israel is thriving apparently and they don't belong in the EU as far as I know.

Took my mate back to the airport this morning. He's an Australian living in Tel Aviv. He tells me that prices are on the increase there too, and Australia

The difference is they don't have as many like you who are apologists for criminals.

Israel is thriving apparently and they don't belong in the EU as far as I know.

I think you have the wrong end as usual and not sure the reference to Israel.

The biggest enablers of criminals are people like you and your like who don't want to fund the police and courts and want to cut everything.

Israel thriving is another non sequitur - what has that got to do with the price of fish?

I think you have the wrong end as usual and not sure the reference to Israel.

If I was dropping my friend off for a flight to Argentina then the reference would have been to Argentina. However it was Israel and it was regarding his observation of the Israeli economy.

Israel thriving is another non sequitur - what has that got to do with the price of fish?
You blame everything on Brexit. Israel small non EU country not far from the EU that is thriving, but prices are rising. On the other hand they have had a good government running their economy as opposed to our shower of shut.

You blame everything on Brexit. Israel small non EU country not far from the EU that is thriving, but prices are rising. On the other hand they have had a good government running their economy as opposed to our shower of shut.

I don't blame everything on Brexit - it was the wrong answer to the question of how do we grow the economy and reduce inequality.

As to Israel it's not comparable to the UK at all.

I don't blame everything on Brexit - it was the wrong answer to the question of how do we grow the economy and reduce inequality.

As to Israel it's not comparable to the UK at all.

How about Australia?

How about Australia?
How about UK compared to Australia - do we have the same natural resources? Do we have the same labour force? Do we have the same levels of capital and debt?

You compare countries that are similar or do you like to compare a sprinter to a weight lifter as a fair comparison?

Schrodingers snowflake - you call them weak and sensitive to anything and then also call them powerful and overbearing.
Never said they're weak.
They're intelligent enough to have found a way to make people comply with their boll@x.
They just point fingers and accuse you of being something (racist, homophobic, etc.)
So for fear of being labelled as such, we comply.
Well, I don't, but a large majority of people do.

How about UK compared to Australia - do we have the same natural resources? Do we have the same labour force? Do we have the same levels of capital and debt?

You compare countries that are similar or do you like to compare a sprinter to a weight lifter as a fair comparison?

So nothing to compare with?

Sponsored Links
Back