UK a shoplifters paradise?

Sponsored Links
spacktards
Come on, RAC, you know better than using words like that.

They are offensive, and you don't have to be lefty, hand-wringing, woke (whatever you think that means), or liberal to be offended by them.

As someone who has Cerebral Palsy, I have spent a large proportion of my life putting up with stuff like this.

It's not common these days, but I still very occasionally get shouts when I'm out and about. I even had an argument with someone who called me a similar name and, when I complained, told me to get over it.

I told him I thought he was the one who should get over it: get over the fact that some people are different.

He couldn't (or wouldn't) see my point.

Edited to remove typo.

Last edited:

Britons are turning to crime as the cost of living crisis drags on, with theft of meat, alcohol and confectionery from shops last year at a decade-high, according to new data.

More than 1.1mn incidents of theft were recorded in 2022, up from 970,000 the year before, reaching its highest level in a decade, according to a report by the Association of Convenience Stores published on Thursday.

James Lowman, chief executive of ACS which represents small shops across the UK, said the levels of theft happening daily were “unprecedented”. “Repeat offenders, known to the community and known to the police, are stealing without fear of reproach,” he added.

More people are committing crimes in response to the worst cost of living crisis for a generation as many households struggle to afford basic daily items as prices continue to rise.

The report comes after new data released on Wednesday showed that inflation remained stuck at 8.7 per cent in May, worse than the 8.4 per cent expected, raising pressure on the Bank of England to ramp up interest rates.

A rise in gang activity and people with addiction problems stealing to fund their drug or alcohol habits had fuelled crime rates, the report found. Higher-value shop products, such as meat or alcohol, can typically be sold on.

Although food price inflation dipped from 19 per cent in April to 18.3 per cent last month, the cost of food itself in supermarkets still rose 0.9 per cent in May alone.

Stores have limited the number of items on their shelves in recent months to reduce the risk of items being stolen, as well as adding security tags to food items such as steaks, cheese and butter.

Almost 80 per cent of retailers surveyed by the ACS, which has around 48,000 members, said the cost of living crisis was driving theft, with a majority of store staff having experienced verbal abuse over the past year.

Local shops are calling on the police and government to introduce a “most wanted” list of shop thieves in local areas, so prolific offenders can be identified and banned from stores or referred to rehabilitation programmes.

Fiona Malone, who runs Tenby Stores, a local independent store in Wales, said: “Many of the people stealing from my shop are known to the community and the police. We need to do a better job at tackling these offenders and bringing them to justice.

Unfortunately, shop thieves know that the police rarely take notice of anything stolen under £50 in value.”

What!
These will be people on benefits and working cash in hand. The gravy train isn’t just the same now.

Bless them, lets up the benefits and hope they get back to being good little dosers again.

These snowflakes seem to be very powerful if they can do all that.
Maybe they are not snowflakes afterall?
They're not powerful, we are weak.
We've let them, a 0.1% of the population, impose what's right and wrong.
Just watch any YouTube video showing an arrest being made.
The criminals all scream "you can't touch me"!
They have been convinced that a police officer arresting them cannot touch them, FFS!
And in those videos there are usually snowflakes screaming "police brutality".
They should go to places like greece and france to realise what a police officer looks like and how they should act.

Sponsored Links
They're not powerful, we are weak.
We've let them, a 0.1% of the population, impose what's right and wrong.
Just watch any YouTube video showing an arrest being made.
The criminals all scream "you can't touch me"!
They have been convinced that a police officer arresting them cannot touch them, FFS!
And in those videos there are usually snowflakes screaming "police brutality".
They should go to places like greece and france to realise what a police officer looks like and how they should act.
But yet they are the reason "criminals are running the country and we're not free to walk the streets anymore".

Although, i suspect this is nonsense. Nobody is stopping me walking the streets.

Junkies used to appear several times in the pub every Sunday selling hundreds of quids worth of meat for 20 /30 quid from local BP marks and sparks. It was getting that bad with amount of calls from BP staff to police that police put pressure on them to put security staff in so now 2 security guards there constantly during opening hours.
Part of the problem is those that buy the stuff
Laughed the other week it must have got that bad Iceland now have the meat in locked security tagged plastic boxes

But yet they are the reason "criminals are running the country and we're not free to walk the streets anymore".

Although, i suspect this is nonsense. Nobody is stopping me walking the streets.
Absolutely!
Nobody is stopping you but you're surely at greater risk of being attacked.

Many places, more so if your a woman where you'd watch your job especially after dusk.

Come on, RAC, you know better than using words like that.

They are offensive, and you don't have to be lefty, hand-wringing, woke (whatever you think that means), or liberal to be offended by them.

As someone who has Cerebral Palsy, I have spent a large proportion of my life putting up with stuff like this.

It's not common these days, but I still very occasionally get shouts when I'm out and about. I even had an argument with someone who called me a similar name and, when I complained, told me to get over it.

I told him I thought he was the one who should get over it: get over the fact that some people are different.

He couldn't (or wouldn't) see my point.

Edited to remove typo.
In life, and btw I'm not saying I've always been perfect on this, we're good at throwing all sorts of insults left right and centre. It can be easy to do if we're not directly affected. We're often a bit thick in that regard. Example, someone makes fun of folk in wheelchairs, loves doing it. Next thing, their partner ends up in one. Wonder if they'd still see the funny side if they heard someone making fun of their partner.

Things aren't so bad here. Check out what's happening in the Bay area of San Francisco, and check out the causes, terrifyng.

Large retailers are deserting the shopping malls, high taxes and crime are causing tech companies to leave in there droves, most are relocating to Republican areas like Texas. Lower taxes, lower crime, better quality of life.
You are aware of some of the reasons why tech companies are going to Texas?

It's not the lower taxes, lower crime (do you have any figures for these?) or better quality of life. It's the investments attracting the business.

Quality of life, you really don't understand America in detail. A lot of Texans leave Texas for the summer, it is simply too hot, currently heat warnings in place there today and it's not even the hottest part of the day.

As notch says, hogwash. You really are easily fooled a lot of the time, A. Lincoln.

If there was a single mastermind behind these waves of crime, it would be easier to deal with, because crime is so random and diffused throughout society, its makes it harder to control.
The general lack of morality among the population means behaviour that used to be considered criminal or immoral, is no longer seen in that light.
Shoplifting for example is now regarded by many as just another irregular form of Capitalism, demand and supply ect.
If shoplifters are stealing stuff to sell on, then who is buying this stuff?.
When i worked in Security, we would get warnings over the radio that known shoplifting gangs were heading are way, these gangs would sometimes steal to order for their customer base in the pubs and clubs around town.
What people don't realise is that a disproportionate amount of shoplifting is carried out by the usual suspects, they are repeat offenders who know how the system works and what their rights are.
If they are stopped and searched and nothing is found they immediately stick a claim in for searching them without their consent.
At the end of the day, if there is a demand for stolen goods among the population, then there are those who will supply those goods.
Its is the same with drugs, no point in burning poppy fields in Afghanistan if the use of drugs is endorsed and even glamorised by celebrities and large sections of the public.

Shop keepers need to band together get organised and set up
Some type of base ball bat and balaclava security company ;)

( 4 bees security)

Sponsored Links
Back