HELPFUL ADVICE FOR ALL CONSUMERS!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After some problems regarding a faulty, but out of warranty, TV I was sent this by a friend and although it was from an article in a magazine published some time back, it still applies today!

When I brought this to the attention of the Manager of the branch where I purchased it and insisted that if he did not believe me he should telephone his Head Office. As our 'friendly but firm' discussions drew quite a group of other interested customers, he asked me to leave the store and come back later and assured me that he would contact his Head Office.

When I returned he was extremely friendly and told me that although he did not accept everything I had told him he had not had the time to contact his Head Office as yet but he appreciated the fact that I was a 'Valued customer' and, in line with Company policy, they would help on this occasion by replacing the TV with a new ander better spec. one, completely free of charge.

The article in question was as follows:-

Consumer Rights - The Six Year Rule
A little known consumer right - especially among retailers!!

Which? Magazine Press Release (01-02-2001): Although this press release refers specifically to high street electrical goods there are important principles here that apply to your rights as purchasers of other significant items.

"Electrical stores pass the buck on faulty goods":

Eight out of ten major high-street electrical stores were not prepared to take responsibility for faulty goods which they might sell, in an investigation for Which?. Under the Sale of Goods Act, retailers are responsible for faulty goods, that is goods which are not 'of satisfactory quality' - for up to six years after purchase (in Scotland the period is five years after something goes wrong).

But, according to Which?, staff from stores, including Currys, Dixons and Comet and Tempo, wrongly stated, or implied, that the responsibility lay with the manufacturer or the customer.

Which? sent undercover shoppers to 12 major UK chains, visiting two branches of each, with a complaint about an 18-month VCR that had broken down. In 80 per cent of the visits, staff made it clear that the problem was nothing to do with them and washed their hands of it.
Many stores mentioned the one-year guarantee - which had now expired - as the end of the line for their responsibilities.

This is wrong. Rights under a guarantee are in addition to rights against the seller under the Sale of Goods Act. Others were equally adamant the problem wasn't theirs. At Powerhouse in Oldbury, West Midlands, a salesperson said: 'It's nothing to do with us…. we don't make them.' At Currys in Cribbs Causeway, Bristol, a salesperson made an interesting, but misguided, analogy to explain why the problem was nothing to do with the shop:

'All we've done is sell it to you. It's like a house. If suddenly one of your walls fell down, you don't go back to the estate agent. Your complaint is with the builder.'

Out of 24 visits, 14 stores took the opportunity to mention an extended warranty. Five of them claimed that extended warranties exist for exactly this type of problem. Which? research has shown that, in general, these are a waste of money with the warranty costing more than any repairs that may be needed.

Staff in five of the stores visited conceded that, ultimately, the store had some responsibility for the goods.

When Which? out its findings to the stores head offices, most said that said that consumers' rights are part of their in-store training programmes but that they would now take action, either through more training or by alerting staff about giving correct advice.

The Editor of Which? said: "When it comes to consumers' rights our investigation shows that many staff don't have a grasp of the law." "We'll be sending our findings to the Department of Trade and Industry and pressing for shops to give staff more thorough training. Stores should also stock leaflets about customers' rights on faulty goods."

Our comment: Remember your contract is with the seller and no-one else. Note also that your rights regarding 'satisfactory quality' includes major components like fridges and heaters and may last for up to six years, whatever the guarantee says. Furthermore it is the seller who must resolve your complaint. (The seller may of course make his own claim on the manufacturer but that is not your problem!).

Which? repeated the exercise in June 2003 with an out of guarantee DVD player and found that; 87 per cent of stores didn't admit that they might be legally obliged to repair the DVD for free; 46 per cent simply passed the buck to the manufacturer, even though the manufacturer had no legal obligation to help us out; 19 per cent politely suggested that there was absolutely nothing they could do, so we should buy a brand new DVD player from them instead.

Your rights extend to on-line purchases too but could be in for a nasty surprise if you want to return something large or heavy that was bought online. Although the law lets you return most unwanted items within seven days of delivery, you might have to pay to send the goods back if they're not faulty. Companies are obliged to tell you if you have to pay to return items, but there's no requirement for them to put this information on their website: they can wait until the point of delivery to inform you. Around a third of the sites we looked at fail to specify whether you or the company is responsible for the cost of sending an item back.

Sponsored Links
Oooh thank you for that. My 2 year old microwave which is 'just' out of warranty has gone wonky and Curry's or Belling are refusing to have naything to do with it :rolleyes:

I might just try again.....

This is a problem that never existed 20 years ago (according to my parents). They made things properly back then, and they never had the problem of needing to repair something thats only 2 years old.

Certain items nowadays are turning into "consumables" rather than "durables" - for example, cheap microwaves, you know that a £30 "omnitek" microwave is not going to last forever, and you are going to need to replace it in a years time. So why on earth do manufacturers make them?!

Build things to last and save us all hassle. This might help overcome the "throwaway culture" we live in these days. When said £30 microwave breaks, who's going to bother repairing it? It'll cost more than its worth, so it will end up in the bin. A £100 model, on the other hand . . .

Sponsored Links
crafty1289 said:
Build things to last and save us all hassle. This might help overcome the "throwaway culture" we live in these days. When said £30 microwave breaks, who's going to bother repairing it? It'll cost more than its worth, so it will end up in the bin. A £100 model, on the other hand . . .
Pwahhhrrr what did you say! huhhmmmm and upset all the shareholders dear boy!!! (falls back to sleep)

crafty1289 said:
This is a problem that never existed 20 years ago (according to my parents). They made things properly back then, and they never had the problem of needing to repair something thats only 2 years old.

Certain items nowadays are turning into "consumables" rather than "durables" - for example, cheap microwaves, you know that a £30 "omnitek" microwave is not going to last forever, and you are going to need to replace it in a years time. So why on earth do manufacturers make them?!

I couldn't agree more Crafty. I had one of the very first Belling Triplette combi ovens and it lasted 14 years. We only got rid of it because it was beginning to look shabby and I'd broken the plate inside. It was going to cost a fortune for a new one so we got a Panasonic - absolute garbage and didn't get on with it so gave it to my niece for her flat. Bought this new Belling which was well in excess of £100..... 2 years later... kaputttttt :!: No one wants to know and I have been told to obtain a Domestic appliance engineers report before they will even consider doing anything about it :rolleyes:

Thank you Brightness. I now have the full printed,Sale of goods act.
Once again, your a star.

BE HAPPY

Brightness, everyone seems to have a story about a microwave that lasted a long time! My parents were given a Panasonic micro, think it was 700w - state of the art at the time, this was back in 1987. 2002, it was still going strong, but it was a horrible brown colour, didn't fit in with the new kitchen, so my mum bought a new microwave, on the cheap :rolleyes:

This microwave started rusting inside the cavity, and the glass dish wouldn't stay on its runners. And i'm sure it was leaking radiation. Male intuition. :LOL:

So 8 months later we got a new one again, but she spent a bit more money this time, over £100, and its goin ok. All singing, all dancing. You can feel the quality - i think the supply flex is 1.5mm² - that is thick. Oh, and its a Daewoo FYI ;)

crafty1289 said:

cheap and useless: itll break down in a year, and due to the low prices, your just gonna buy another rather than repair. and the same again next year. then the company makes even more money rippin you off

Sponsored Links
Back