emails

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ever sent an email and then looked in your sent items and thought "hmmm maybe that wasnt such a good idea". For example:

This morning, I recieved a stern email with a list of stores that hadn't yet returned their green security cigarette boxes from friday's delivery. Bear in mind, these green boxes are RFID tagged, they are scanned in and out at the delivery depot, they go out on one lorry, to the store, then the empty ones are picked up by the next delivery lorry. All the stores on this list get deliveries only twice a week, tuesdays and fridays.

The email i recieved was of the tone that the stores in the list had done something wrong, by still having these green boxes. However, how could a store have returned friday's green boxes by tuesday morning, if its pickup/delivery days are friday and tuesday?!

I was quite annoyed at this email. So i replied. never a good thing when annoyed. Asked him why he had sent this email, as none of the shops listed had had a chance to return these green boxes yet. I told him it was quite illogical to expect stores to have already returned them, as was the tone of his email, and wrote that our green boxes were already on their way to the depot, due in 2 hours precisely (sheffield to stoke), all three of them. I wrote it in a stern, annoyed fashion. And CC'd it to our area manager. :oops:

The AM later replied and said in future i have to stick to the facts, not tell people they are being illogical :LOL: oops lol.

The guy who sent the email, then replied back to justify why he sent the email out, but missed my point entirely, still insisting there was an issue here. He claimed there are 1300 green boxes being kept in stores, out of circulation. THEY AREN'T out of circulation, they are waiting to be picked up on their next bl00dy delivery! As the system was supposedly designed for!!! I wanted to reply again, telling him if they havent got enough green boxes, order some bl00dy more, he really rattled me. I managed to restrain myself though. I often wonder what sort of people we have running our head offices. They havent got a clue about running a store. :evil:

The guy also said this list will be an ongoing thing to name and shame. Guess what i'm going to do? Empty the sodding green boxes when they are delivered and return them on the same lorry. Bl00dy farce.

We also get numptys who reply to the mass emails by clicking "reply to all" :rolleyes: so everyone in 5 areas gets to know what hours their staff are working. great. I have replied to these occasionally too, telling them their error, and normally get something back along the lines of

"wot r yu on abuot dat emal werent 4 u y did u get it?"

Anyone else had any bad email incompetence experiences?

by the way admin/mods, well done on the swear filter, it even picked up bloody, with numeric 0's :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Look on the bright side, you'll know better next time.

BTW many managers don't like (1) being copied on emails that they consider irrelevant (2) seeing acrimonious exchanges between ill-tempered staff.

Just a sugg. ;)

People are far more likely to react badly to email than a phone call ... Technology getting in the way of what we do best ... Talking to each other ;)

Crafty said:
Ever sent an email and then looked in your sent items and thought "hmmm maybe that wasnt such a good idea". [/size]

All the time - far too many occasions to list here but I do it all the time.

I'm the sort of person who tells it like it is and sometimes, when responding to an e-mail from the Chairman or CEO, I re-read my memo and think "ooops, perhaps I shouldn't have been so direct with my response".

No point in beating round the bush though.

Sponsored Links
I've sent plenty of Emails without thinking them through first.

Better than that though, is the amount of people who have tried to shaft me, and then have found themselves stitched up by use of the "BCC" box.

Totally aggree fred. emails are far more likely to be interpretted wrongly, or more harshly than you meant them to, so telling it how it is is not often a good idea, and now i think maybe a phone call in this instance would have been a better solution.

And i copied it to the AM because I thought she ought to know they were threatening to penalise us (charge £10 per green box per missed delivery) for something thats not our fault ;)

Back