argos not letting me return product

i checked my receipt in the car and relised that i only have till tomorrow until the 30 day refund policy is up.

They may have a new policy in place, stopping unscrupulous characters taking back f*cked hoovers, after they abuse them on a building site for a month. ? :idea:

Not putting you in that category, obviously... ;)

Just out of interest.... did you ask for a refund or a replacement...????

i asked for a replacement but none were in stock.

Sponsored Links
buy another one from B&Q or screwfix if they stock it, then take the knackered one back for a refund.

oh, and never cross the argos door again

It may be that comet tie the hands of the managers. I don't know laptops so I can't comment on how often this problem happens but in my general experience for every genuine fault there are three faults caused my the customer. Without that initial defiance I can imagine they would be out of pocket very quickly. That said they need to have a better procedure.

It may be that comet tie the hands of the managers. I don't know laptops so I can't comment on how often this problem happens but in my general experience for every genuine fault there are three faults caused my the customer. Without that initial defiance I can imagine they would be out of pocket very quickly. That said they need to have a better procedure.

If one of the keys of the keyboard fall off, on a slimline keyboard, then generally it's fallen off due to the keyboard being banged, and that is where the staff might have had an issue, fair use/wear and tear. As on these type of keyboards, it's not an issue of pushing it back on or gluing it, a new keyboard needs to be fitted. If this was caused in transit to the customer, or by the customer would be hard to prove. But if the customer banged the computer, then the warranty would be invalid.

Regarding the vacuum cleaner - I know people that have worked at Argus, and the gripe about returns is that many orders include associated free items/vouchers, that aren't returned. Buy xyz item, get a £20 voucher, person then returns item, but 'says' they have spent vouchers=stealing.

Buy item, get a free accessory, return main item, keep free item, stealing, unless as the OP states, wanted a like for like swap. But the till system is inadequate, so you get the free item again. That's what Argos staff say.

Funnily enough, I was looking through the catalogue, and came across a pond pump that I require, they had two identical, but one with more power, priced at a ludicrous £99! The dearer one was listed as 'home delivery only', where the cheaper one didn't mention that...WHY? Same size, same item, different motor inside, no heavier, not bulky?

Sponsored Links
Mrs took a flymo lawnmower back to argos last week its 11 months old receipt a little bit hard to read but had the letter from flymo asking to take out warranty from next month.
None in stock so gave her a full refund think its an agreement between flymo and argos . Cheaper than sending someone out

I had to take a TV back to Asda a few weeks after buying it. Got a replacement the same day. No questions asked. They didn't even plug it in to try it. The guarantee on the replacement started the day it was replaced, not when I bought the original. 10/10 for customer service.
;) ;) ;)

I had to take a TV back to Asda a few weeks after buying it. Got a replacement the same day. No questions asked. They didn't even plug it in to try it. The guarantee on the replacement started the day it was replaced, not when I bought the original. 10/10 for customer service.
;) ;) ;)

That's not customer service, that's counter staff ignorance. I would have fired them if that was my company.

That's not customer service, that's counter staff ignorance. I would have fired them if that was my company.

Had they plugged the television in , they would have found it was not working. As it is the customer service staff in Asda are usually quite busy dealing with returns and other customers as Asda will accept all sorts of items returned for all sorts of reasons.

Exactly, but I know what kind of profit margins these people work on and if you lose one tv or refund a f***ed tv when you shouldn't have that is another 7-8 being sold just to make up the lose. Not good at all and if that was my business I would investigate everything, especially considering the meagre time/wage these staff get paid...it would be worth having someone who's sole job was to investigate these things.

How on earth did Asda lose a TV?? It was faulty within a few weeks of purchase. They guarantee it for 1 yr from the date of purchase. Perhaps I should have kept it right until the very last day and then gone back??
When you buy a product from any shop, your contract is with the shop, not the manufacturer. The shop has a duty to ensure that the goods they sell are fit for purpose. I bought a television so I could watch television. After a few weeks I was unable to watch television, therefore under the terms of the sale of goods act, my television was unfit for the purpose it was bought for.
Would you suggest Asda and all retailers now test everything returned to make sure it's faulty, Or do you let the assistants refund or replace faulty goods?

It seems you think I was trying to scam a new TV out of them, or perhaps had you been the shop manager, no one would ever get a refund or replacement.

Well I can honestly say, had you been the manager there, you wouldn't have lasted very long, if that's your understanding of consumer law.

Trust me, I know consumer law. I am not talking about your case. I am talking about the fact that they didn't even investigate the problem. Which is stupid beyond belief..... and yes I would suggest everyone that accepts faulty goods back should check they are faulty...... why is that so odd to you?

how does a shop assistant test for an intermittent fault?

thought id update you: went back to another store today and the manager said i have to deal direct with vax and they will send an engineer out. they had no other vax models in stock to offer me a replacement and wouldnt give me a refund. apparently argos dont get involved. i explained my contract of sale is with argos, not vax. i kicked off but he was having none of it - was like talking to a brick wall. at this point i was about to blow a fuse, so i put it back in my car and drove to the next nearest store and asked for a refund - given straight away no questions asked.

it seems the customer service varies from store to store.

The guarantee on the replacement started the day it was replaced

That's not how it usually works: the product may be replaced but the warranty expiry date still stands, ie the day you bought the original product.

how does a shop assistant test for an intermittent fault?
the same as anyone else.... if they can't find a problem send it to an engineer with maybe a charge if they can't find a problem to deter the chancers.

If it was your shop you'd do the same.

Sponsored Links
Back