Credit with energy company gone bust - British Gas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I already had credit with Bristol Energy, when they went bust, yet after the final bill from them they continued to claim the dd's they were not entitled to as I my account had been moved to British Gas, who were them selves taking a dd.

I emailed the BE's administrators, who suggested I ring my bank to claim the dd's back, they couldn't claim them back due to in being under administration and referred me back to the administrators - rinse and repeat, so I got in touch with offgem who suggested I would need to complain to BG and gave me BG's complains email address.

I complained via email to BG, no reply, got the CEO's email address and forwarded my complaint to him, again no reply, I then tried ringing BG and explaining to their Indian call centre - who despite my best attempt, failed to understand. I then emailed BG again on their general enquiry email address, again no reply at all - zilch.

Back to Offgem and I emailed a copy of what I had sent BG and the sorry process of trying to get any sort of reply from BG that was on Friday last. Today, the following Tuesday, I at last have got BG's attention and they are promising to resolve things within 10 days as a direct result of my complaint to Offgem.

I'm lucky, I am more than capable of fighting my corner and have the facilities to do so, but not everyone is as capable as me. I do feel sorry for those who are less able.

Sponsored Links
Did your credit not get carried over to BG ?

No, they say that could take many months. BG was supposed to look at my accounts credit and make suitable adjustments to my new account with them. Instead I was treated as an entirely new customer with no credit at all. I'm mostly annoyed with the fact that I was told NOT to cancel the direct debit and the administrators allowing the DD to continue to be taken, basically me paying double for energy, when the government said customers were guaranteed not to loose out on an energy company going bust. No one seemed able to sort out the over claimed DD.

Sponsored Links
How much £money are we talking about?

What balance did you have with your old supplier that hasn't (yet) been carried over???

Is (shudders) a PAYG meter involved?

A few things don't ring true with me here, & I've had professional tenants / utility bill evaders try to BS me !

Can you have a DD for a PAYG meter? Sort of defeats the object of PAYG doesn't it?

I said that I don't usually engage with mouth breathing morons, I'll beef hooked if I'm engaging with an imbecile.

Is (shudders) a PAYG meter involved?
OP has already said they pay by Direct Debit.
Can you have a DD for a PAYG meter? Sort of defeats the object of PAYG doesn't it?
I said that I don't usually engage with mouth breathing morons, I'll beef hooked if I'm engaging with an imbecile.
I think you find you don't engage when you've been made to look stupid. It was a simple enough question, even for you. I'll try again. Please explain how someone who has a PAYG ANYTHING - gas, electric, mobile etc. tops up by Direct Debit. You do understand the concept of the Direct Debit system, don't you? You use something - gas, electric, mobile phone and they take the money after you use it, not before. PAYG means you pay before you use it.

OP has already said they pay by Direct Debit.

I think you find you don't engage when you've been made to look stupid. It was a simple enough question, even for you. I'll try again. Please explain how someone who has a PAYG ANYTHING - gas, electric, mobile etc. tops up by Direct Debit. You do understand the concept of the Direct Debit system, don't you? You use something - gas, electric, mobile phone and they take the money after you use it, not before. PAYG means you pay before you use it.

You seem to be quoting yourself and arguing with yourself too.

Sponsored Links
Back