Rate 1, Rate 4, Which is which?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Afternoon,

I have not long had an Economy 7 meter installed, and the two rates are rate 1 and rate 4.

I would like to know which is for day and which is for night.

A lot of places ask for rate 1 and rate 2, and I have been told that rate 1 corresponds with rate 1 and rate 4 for corresponds with rate 2 (but I think I have read somewhere about horror stories of hefty bills due to readings been entered in the wrong way round)

I am with Scottish Power.

Help please.

Regards

Sponsored Links
1 is usually day and 2 is night.

Aren't there other read-outs (windows) which tell you the price per kWh?

Post a picture of the meter?

upload_2018-1-10_14-10-17.png

Many Thanks.

Unfortunately, it isn't possible for me to take a picture of the meter.

Regards.

Sponsored Links
I would like to know which is for day and which is for night.
Do you have night storage heaters, or any other large loads which only operate at night? If not (and quite probably even if you do), the reading for night-rate will almost certainly be appreciably smaller than the one for day-rate.

Kind Regards, John

Unfortunately, it isn't possible for me to take a picture of the meter

You don't need to; EFL did it for you. The higher price per unit will be the day rate, and the lower, the night rate.

Of course, you could contact Scottish Power, and ask them.

You don't need to; EFL did it for you. The higher price per unit will be the day rate, and the lower, the night rate.
Yes, but EFLI's piccie was not of the OP's meter, which may well not display the prices per unit (my dual-rate E7 meter certainly doesn't). Indeed, unless it's a 'smart meter', I can't see how it could know anything about prices (which are changing all the time).

Kind Regards, John

Fair point John, but the OP said he couldn't post a picture, not that it didn't show the same info - admittedly, he may not have got past the couldn't post a picture thought, so didn't go and look.

The picture was not a smart meter but was a Scottish and Southern pre-payment meter.

Perhaps they can be set with and do show the rates and 'ordinary' ones do not.

The picture was not a smart meter but was a Scottish and Southern pre-payment meter. Perhaps they can be set with and do show the rates and 'ordinary' ones do not.
Ah - that makes a lot more sense, but may well not be relevant to the OP's meter.

As I said before, it would not really make sense for a non-smart meter to display prices, since they would then have to send someone (and probably someone 'more' than just a 'meter reader') out to each of the customers to change things every time the price changed!

Kind Regards, John

A lot of places ask for rate 1 and rate 2, and I have been told that rate 1 corresponds with rate 1 and rate 4 for corresponds with rate 2 (but I think I have read somewhere about horror stories of hefty bills due to readings been entered in the wrong way round)
I've just looked at my (E.ON) account on-line, and see this:

upload_2018-1-10_23-52-51.png

It is therefore clear that, as far as E.ON are concerned, 'low rate', 'rate 2', 'rate 4' and 'night rate' all mean the same thing. The other register (not shown in the above screen shot), asked for the 'normal rate', 'rate 1' or 'day rate'. I obviously don't know whether Scottish Power are the same, but they probably are - and that would be consistent with what you've been told.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back