Economy 10 and Wet Electric Central Heating

• Thread starter overlandrover
  • Start date
O

overlandrover

Hello all

I have recently replaced a solid fuel boiler with a FIFAS electric boiler.

The boiler was professionally installed by a reputable fitter, and after some wrangling, we finally got Powergen to put us onto the Economy 10 tariff so we could make use of the 1pm-4pm cheaper rate.

A new Horstmann Series K Telemeter was fitted by Powergen prior to the new boiler being fitted, and displays the "Rate Now" depending on the time of day.
- At 2:30 pm, the "Rate Now" is currently toggling between Rates 2 and 3.
- At about 7:20 am the display toggles between Rate 1 and 3.
- At about 11:30pm the display toggles between Rate 2 and 3.

Rate 1 and Rate 2 are clocking-up the numbers (with Rate 2 approx double Rate 1).
However, the new meter never registers any readings on Rate 3 - still at zero since it was installed.

I believe Rate 2 is the "Day" rate, and Rate 1 is "Night".
Rate 3 should be the "Stored Heat" rate, but this should only come into effect at certain times of the day (not toggling constantly all day on the display as it is now).

So is my meter still programmed for Economy 7? Our bill says we're on the E10 tariff, but these meter readings are going to be at odds with what we are billed.

We've had Powergen send an engineer [from Siemens] out on two occasions, querying why Rate 3 wasn't registering any kWh. In his words he said "because there's nothing connected to it", i.e. no storage heaters.
Is he right?
Surely the new boiler should be drawing current on this rate?

Before I go back to Powergen again, is there something that I'm missing?
- Do Powergen simply need to re-programme the meter?
- Should there be another cable running from the meter to the CCU, and then onto the boiler?
- Has the boiler been installed incorrectly?

I look forward to your responses.

Sponsored Links
In my experience E10 differs little from E7 other than the fact that the times are slightly different. You get an extra two 'boost' periods, and the charges are some what different.

You still get two sets of tails - one being designed for storage rads etc.

The third rate may be a programming error, the daytime 'boost' periods can be charged at a different rate to the nighttime rate, but on E10 I believe they are charged at the same rate fro most suppiers.

If it is registering zero, I gues this runs in line with tarriff you are on.

This past weekend has been my first chance to monitor the meter and check the readings on a regular basis.

Despite our Powergen bill saying we are on Economy 10, the meter changes between Rate 1 and Rate 2 only overnight, typical of Economy 7.

Without any other way to distinguish between peak and off-peak, and no apparent "low" period in the afternoons, we're presumably running our boiler at peak rate during these times.

To make matters worse, I have seen our meter change from Rate 1 (Night) to Rate 2 (Day) at 7:28am (not 7:30 as it's meant to), and it does not change to Night rate at 00:30 as we would expect.

What is going on?

We were sold the idea of electric central heating on being able to use Economy 10, but if Rate 3 isn't registering, and the meter doesn't go to off-peak rate in the afternoon, who is at fault??

I'm sure Rate 3 (Stored Heat) should be registering something, but can anybody provide a wiring diagram of how the boiler should be connected to the meter/Consumer Unit?

I look forward to your help.

Just been checking the tariffs for Economy 10 and believe that 'Overlander' must have Eon as their supplier as their two lowest rates are the same at 8.39p per KWh.

They seem to be expensive when compared with NPower from whom I've been quoted 20.7p per day Standing Charge, Peak Rate 12.42p, Mid Rate 11.96p and Low Rate 6.10p

Sponsored Links
I know that it's a very old thread but all that I'm attempting to do is find the cheapest current supplier as this is the first time that my daughter has come across 'Economy 10' heating and there doesn't appear to be many suppliers that quote for Economy 10.

'Googling' Economy 10 doesn't throw many up either.

Any ideas?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back