weird economy 7 problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

I went to read my economy meter last night (haven't read it in about a year!!!) and it turns out that the day rate is about the same as the estimated reading on the bill, but the night rate is about 8000 units higher!!!

So I took a reading at 6pm in the evening, and then 4 hours later at 10pm. The day rate reading had gone up 3 units, and the night rate had gone up 2 units. The clock on the meter is roughly accurate by the way.

Should this be happening? Does anyone have any ideas what could be going wrong?
Thanks in advance

Tom

Sponsored Links
Sounds to me that your Teleswitch is stuck in the "E7" mode and isn't going off (I have been to one that this has happened to!!)

You need to get this checked out though as it could be a case of estimated bills catching up!!

As you are on E7 then your storage heaters (and possibly E7 immersion element) are switched on typically between the hours of 12 midnight and 1am and off again between 7am and 8am,,, giving you 7 hours of cheap rate electricity so your rate 2 units should not have increased between the hours that you say!

Nozspark, I think you've cracked it - I've just turned one of the storage heaters on, and it has turned on! (it's nearly 9pm). If it *is* a problem with the teleswitch would this be a symptom?

Also, is that my *fault* or is the electricity company responsible for this? i.e. will i have to pay the bill?!

Thanks again for your help Nozspark, much appreciated

Tom

What you need to do is give your supplier a ring and explain the situation, they will then send someone out to investigate the fault and repair it.

As for who is liable that is another matter. The one that I found had a faulty immersion element which caused the Teleswitch' contacts to weld shut, so I replaced the element and our DNO fixed the teleswitch (customer paid electricity bill). Now if the Teleswitch just went faulty then you should have some grounds for not paying the extra, but if a fault on wour installation caused this fault then you should be liable.

It would probably be worth while getting a local electrician out to test (and repair, if necessary) your E7 final circuits first and then get your DNO out.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back