Rate this work please............

All the walls are already painted before the papering.

The white spots are some sort of residue which has stuck to the surface of the textured wallpaper - I dont know whether it is paste or caulk that the decorator has tried to rub off, and its just turned into flakey residue?

Sponsored Links
The white spots are some sort of residue which has stuck to the surface of the textured wallpaper - I dont know whether it is paste or caulk that the decorator has tried to rub off, and its just turned into flakey residue?

and this so called pro is expecting or more likely hopeing you wont notice and will hold his hand out to relieve you of your hard earned,

tell him unless (at his expense)it is not rectified then he wont get any money.

lee what i mean by paste the wall first is if he has not pasted the wall first it will suck all the paste out the wall paper and that will make it shrink thats when you will get gaps.

i realy dont know how he can get that many white spots all over the wallpaper and i dont know how he can make the cutting that bad. i know some paper is a pain to cut but that paper looks good stuff to me so it wouldnt be a problem. It dont look like hes had a problem with it ripping its just he can not cut straight

has he finished all the work now lee or does he need to come back?

carl

UPDATE!!!........................

I spoke to the decorator last night, and I calmly told him that I wasnt too happy with a few bits of the work, and explained that the paper has torn in a few places, and that the pattern didnt line up. He was surprised by this, and said that it must have been because the paper had shrunk! :eek:

I didnt argue, and he has agreed to come and have a look at it tomorrow before he proceeds with any other work. He wants to get his painters in on thurs to start the hall and stairs, but I have said wait until we have spoken on Weds! :confused:

I hope he agrees to do it again for free, but it still will have cost me a £25 roll of paper! :evil:

I will let you know how it goes tomorrow - I am dreading it to be honest!!

Thanks for your continued help and advice guys!

Lee

Sponsored Links
good glad he was ok with you if you have not paid him then dont give him the money till its put correct and you want him to pay for the other paper needed.

dont let him blame the paper the paper shriking would not make a diffrence to the cutting.

The reason you have a cap down the middle of the fire place is when he has put the paper round the corner he has brushed the paper around and did not think about keeping the paper butted up on the breast thats why it has come away..

carl

Could be loads of other reasons for gaps too carl..wall underneath, undersoaking (if it wasnt a paste the wall job) oversoaking, wrong mix of paste, uneven pasting........or just plain ol bad workmanship

And as you say...that makes no difference to the sloppy cutting.

Off centre patterns are barstewards..and a lot of these big new designs are like it

Im working on a mathmatical way of getting round it, it worked for me once on a feature wall but im not sure whether it was just a fluke...the onlt other way I know is to cut a few strips, tape them together and stick them to the wall with masking tape, then move them back and forth until the pattern is balanced.

Jumbo...DONT offer to pay for the paper..its NOT YOUR FAULT.

UPDATE!!!

Hi guys,

Decorator came round yesterday to have a look at what I wasnt happy with. I showed him the poor cutting, the mismatched pattern, the paper tears and the gaps, and..............

HE AGREED TAHT THE IT DIDNT LOOK TOO GOOD!!!! :D :D :eek:

So, he has offered to pay for the paper and do it again in 2 weeks when he is back from vacation. :D

He had a few excuses, so I just entertained him as I didnt want a confrontation just yet!! ;)

Myself and my girlfriend (with discussion with the decorator) have decided to change the paper, to hopefully reduce the risk of pattern mismatch (and also him tearing it again because the paper is very very soft)!!!! :idea:

He has asked me to strip the walls if I have time. Is there any tips I need before I start? :?:

Also, what are good quality makes of wallpaper you could recommend please (so there can be no excuses!!!)!? :?: :?:

I will let you know how the second attempt goes on Weds 17th June!!!

Thanks again guys, ;)

Why do people think expensive paper is good paper?

I have found expensive paper to be terrible to hang, mismatched colours on same number batches, edge curling like you wouldn't believe, pattern mismatch, and poorly cut paper are just some of the woes. I seriously think some people buy expensive paper just to say "it cost blah blah"

Buying a good paper is a bit of a lottery, there isn't a 'make' of paper that is good across the range, I've had papers that were from B&Q and cost a fiver and went on beautifully, I've had a Sanderson paper that I would gladly have set fire too and stomped on its ashes lol!

That said, the papering is poor, and the cutting really doesn't have any excuses. It looks like the paper required a longish soak and has become very soft and instead of using scissors they used a knife. I hate dark papers they are nothing but trouble but do look nice when hung well, I carry a selection of watercolour pens for poorly cut edges.

I tend to charge a bit more when hanging dark papers over light due to the extended time spent making sure it looks right... I also cross line the wall to avoid edges showing later on, especially on chimney breasts... perfection costs lol!

That is the worst I have ever seen my 8 year old could do better, but i wont let her up a ladder.... :LOL:

you should get him to pay for the paper and then get somone else in... what makes it even worse is you paid him to do it.... :evil:

good luck

UPDATE!!!

Hi guys,

Its been a long time since the last update, so here goes!.........

After the decorator agreed to pay for the paper and do the work again (because he agreed it didnt look good), he went on holiday for 2 weeks. Then, when he returned, I went on holiday!
So basically, no work has progressed!

Then today, because I havent contacted him for a while, he decided to send me an invoice for the work he carried out!!!!

He wants £110 for half a days work!!!

In this half day (8am - 12pm) he papered the chimney breast (very, very badly) and also lined the small toilet room. This was also done badly, with gaps in the paper, paste on the window, sink and toilet itself, and some pretty poor cutting in around everything!!! :evil: :cry:

So, my question (eventually!!), is, should I pay for any of this work that has been carried out, even though the chimney breast needs to be done again (and I have spent hours stripping his crappy papering) and the toilet walls need another layer of lining paper to make them look good? :eek: :mad:

Sorry to go on guys, but I have tried to give all the details! :LOL:

I dont think I should pay as neither job was completed properly, and I have had to do more work to correct the mistakes and return the walls back to the condition they were before the crappy work was carried out!!!??? :evil:

Thoughts please guys....................... :?:

just for a laugh mention to him you are thinking/have of contacting the trading standards peeps and that as you have photos etc and he agreed to come back and redo and he hasnt and now he HAS THE BLOODY CHECK TO ASK YOU FOR MONEY,be good to be a fly on the wall to see his reaction.

Ha!

Thanks for the reply's guys.

I really dont wana pay him, as Ive had to strip the louge chimney breast and he hasnt finished the toilet!

A couple of my mates think I should make my own invoice to end him, billing him for all the corrective work Ive had to do to strip the chimney breast of his F**k Up!? :p

Trouble is, I dont like confrontation!???

What to do eh? :rolleyes: :confused:

Doing your own invoice is a waste of time and a bit silly to be honest...and if things went to court it wouldnt be taken seriously

In any situation like this you have to give him the option to put the work right himself first..

Id suggest a registered letter giving him 7 days to respond and 21 to arrange for the work to be put right, failing that you will be forced to get someone in to rectify the work at he's cost

Try referring him to the sale of goods and services act as well...he might read that and take note.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back