Rats in attic?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

In May 2019 I contacted the council as my wife saw a rat on my neighbours doorstep, and I saw one coming out of a road drain across the road.
A few weeks later another neighbour said they had had rats in their attic and couldn’t understand how they got there, and pest control sorted it.

We are in a row of 5 terraced houses.

In October 2020, I had someone top up my loft installation.

My inline extractor fan died yesterday, so this morning I went into the attic to remove it.

had to pull apart the insulation and roll it up a bit to get to the fan.

Under part of it I found what I presume are rat droppings (see pic), but the insulation I rolled up was totally flat against the droppings, didn’t look like any animal has been underneath it etc.

I’ve hoovered up the droppings (hard as stones).

I’m thinking that as the new insulation hadn’t been disturbed, and they are old dropping, chances are this is all to do with what happened in 2019.

Do you think this is a sensible conclusion, or should I be calling in pest control (no food ever been in attic)?

Thanks

Attachments

• B2BE10E3-090A-4F10-9B7E-52C527C863C3.jpeg
    B2BE10E3-090A-4F10-9B7E-52C527C863C3.jpeg
    258.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 6A6FB63E-00DC-4717-94E3-51DE420698DD.jpeg
    6A6FB63E-00DC-4717-94E3-51DE420698DD.jpeg
    372.2 KB · Views: 78
Sponsored Links
Hi,
I live in a mid-terrace and have been similarly afflicted by rats in the attic.
The pest controller believed they were coming up the cavity of an extension to a house a few doors down, and clambering along the eaves.
Since then, I have built up the party wall and blocked every hole I can find, with wirewool and expanding foam.
I have recently renewed some insulation and found an old nest with some carcasses (being big and brave, I left my partner to clean them up! :eek:)

So yes, they can get in from anywhere in a terrace, you might not know they are there, even if they are nesting within the insulation and I'm afraid those pellets look quite recent.

Hi all.

In May 2019 I contacted the council as my wife saw a rat on my neighbours doorstep, and I saw one coming out of a road drain across the road.
A few weeks later another neighbour said they had had rats in their attic and couldn’t understand how they got there, and pest control sorted it.

We are in a row of 5 terraced houses.

In October 2020, I had someone top up my loft installation.

My inline extractor fan died yesterday, so this morning I went into the attic to remove it.

had to pull apart the insulation and roll it up a bit to get to the fan.

Under part of it I found what I presume are rat droppings (see pic), but the insulation I rolled up was totally flat against the droppings, didn’t look like any animal has been underneath it etc.

I’ve hoovered up the droppings (hard as stones).

I’m thinking that as the new insulation hadn’t been disturbed, and they are old dropping, chances are this is all to do with what happened in 2019.

Do you think this is a sensible conclusion, or should I be calling in pest control (no food ever been in attic)?

Thanks
if you have rats, you will have a smell

although rats have a bladder, they pee constantly as they use it for communication -so if youve had much rat activity, believe me your nose will tell you

rat and mice droppings in a loft are common, so you need to assess if they are indication of recent activity

if they are around much they will be chewing, so have a look for tell tale signs

Sponsored Links
if you have rats, you will have a smell

although rats have a bladder, they pee constantly as they use it for communication -so if youve had much rat activity, believe me your nose will tell you
As ever, there can be exceptions. Our loft is boarded and the rats had made a nest completely within the Knauf space blanket insulation - very cozy, but also in a decently ventilated loft - no smells!

The first thing we knew about the rats (and their demise), was from the blow flies escaping from gaps in the coving!

Thanks. Most of my roof isn’t felted hence loads of fresh air circulating and no smell.

I‘ll get someone in after Xmas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back