Mouse or Baby Rat.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Caught two of these in my attic recently.

I think its a mouse but I want to rule out a small / baby rat as a possibility.

Is this a mouse or a rat?

We also found what looks like it might be a rat dropping in our bathroom. Its about 1cm long and irregularly shaped but tapered at both ends. Black and very soft and squidgy. Smells strongly of poo. I would have taken a photo but my other half disposed of it before I had a chance to. [/img]

Sponsored Links
it would be easier if you put a 50p piece in the photo to give scale. You did not mention the animal size.

the dropping sounds rat-like. mouse droppings are no bigger than a match-head, and lots of them.

Sponsored Links
I'd say that was a rat, mice are tiny.

That looks like a big mouse..!

Rats have bigger feet and tails relative to the size of their bodies. Those look like large mice.

edit: just had another look, 100% sure they are mice.

Adult mice. Most of the mice that people encounter (most of the mouse population) are juveniles and therefore much smaller. The reason is that mice breed so prolifically because relatively few actually reach it to adulthood.

Edited to add, mice have thin tails, rats have thick tails.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back