Dead rodent in wall cavity - bad smell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can't think where to post this, hope it's okay to do so here if not feel free to tell me where to put it.

Over the past two days I've noticed a 'rotten' smell in my hall - tracked it down this evening to coming from the skirting board in one area at the edge of my bungalow.

Went into the attic and sure enough the smell is stronger up there just above the area where I can smell the odour in my hall. I think that the smell has been stronger in the hall the past two days as the edge of the roof where the smell is faces west and we've had a strong westerly wind tfor the past couple of days, especially today - that is presumably driving the smell down through the cavity.

So, something has died in the cavity - probably a mouse, maybe a rat.

What can I do to get rid of the smell? There's no way I can get to the top of the wall cavity in the attic (to remove anything) as the roof slopes down too tightly, but I'm sure I could get close enough to chuck down some kind of 'odour removal bomb' (if such a thing exists!).

Can anyone advise on the best course of action please? The smell is awful and only likely to get worse before it gets better.

Sponsored Links
It'll go away after a week or so. Bircard in bowls of water helps neutralize the smell I believe (left in the room that smells not poured down the cavity).

Otherwise you're into removing part of the wall or whatever to remove it.

yes about a week the carcase may be miles away from where the smell appears

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I'll wait it out then.

I have though stopped some of the smell by putting silicone sealant around the bottom edges of the skirting board where the smell is strongest - in that area there was a few mm gap while the rest of the skirting (no smell there) sits tight with the concrete floor.

Oh yes, I've also put an air freshener in the hall. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back