Rats

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The people next door to us are mad about animals, always leaving food out for the birds and nuts etc. for the squirrels.
I've just seen a rat running across our garden coming from theirs.
So I went upstairs and stood on the bath to look over from the bathroom window.
They have a paved area at the back of the house before the garden starts, there were three rats running about on this area looking for food immediately outside of their window.
I can't believe that they don't know about this, I wouldn't be surprised if they were feeding the fookin things.
These are privately owned houses, what are our rights with regards to this?

Sponsored Links
Speak to the council's environmental health dept.
Try and get some vids of the rats to show them.

Contact your local environmental health inspector and tell him what you have seen, including those next door. You have kids so there health and safety comes above everything else.
You could just mention to your neighbour, in a polite friendly manner, that you are letting him know there may be rats around as you have seen one in your garden so have called in the environmental health people to have a look around.
One of the worst things for attracting rats is bird seed which gets spilt on the ground when they feed.

That's a bit worrying. We often put bread out for the birds.

I've had a quiet word with my cat, though, and asked him to watch out for rats. :eek:

Sponsored Links
Good idea on the vid, I'll do that tomorrow I think, too dark now.
Conny, yes they were eating the bird seed that was on the ground, don't really want to fall out with these people. They are a very quiet middle aged couple with no kids and a thing about wildlife. But there's no way we can tolerate somebody attracting so many of these filthy pests to the area.
Tonight was the first time I've looked over into their garden, and there were three of the fookers, there are probably times when there are more and like I said, they must know themselves. But they still keep putting the bird seed and nuts out. :evil: :evil:

Entice them over to your side then shoot them with an air rifle.

I did that once, it knocked me sick.
My older brother and his mate set up some food on the back garden grass and were hanging out of the bedroom widow for ages waiting for one to take the bait. Nothing came and they got fed up and fooked off out somewhere leaving our kids air rifle handy.
Long story short I bagged one, pure fluke I think because it was getting really dark and I could only see the hint of a shadow moving about. Pulled the trigger and there was the most horrendous shrieking and buzzing sound I've ever heard. Th rat had disappeared next day, must have crawled off somewhere to die, it put me off shooting things for life though.

If you were young, you could be forgiven for finding that distressing. But that experience needs to be put behind you. These things are vermin, responsible over the ages for countless human deaths, and need to be eradicated by whatever means necessary

Sponsored Links
Back