Rattling inside dash ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have got a P reg Corsa 1.0 12v, and when driving away, and intermitently whilst driving, there is a rattling noise that sounds as if it is coming from behind the dash, like somthing is rolling around in a box ! I have removed the instrument cluster to have a look but there was nothing obvious loose.
Any ideas would be appreciated, Thanks .

Sponsored Links
It could be pre-ignition, can you induce the sound yourself, by accelerating hard?
If so check or change the plugs, it could also be a faulty coil, you should see a difference in the plugs if this is so, the misfiring one will be oiled up.

Wotan

If you feel its a mechanical clatter, check the bonnet hinges - prone to wear, and just on the other side of the dash.
John :)

It could be pre-ignition, can you induce the sound yourself, by accelerating hard?
If so check or change the plugs, it could also be a faulty coil, you should see a difference in the plugs if this is so, the misfiring one will be oiled up.

Wotan
Hi Wotan, I changed the coil pack and plugs ( a much needed job ! ) and the noise is still present, thanks for your reply :)

Sponsored Links
If you feel its a mechanical clatter, check the bonnet hinges - prone to wear, and just on the other side of the dash.
Hi Burnerman, It does sound like a mechanical noise, so I will check the hinges, thanks for the advice, hopefully off to stick my head in the bonnet again :)

With the bonnet fully open, grab it on that side, and see if you can feel any rattle on the hinge pins....may not be relevant at all, of course!
Also check for wiper linkage wear or anything loose in this area - sound easily transmits to the inside.
Good luck!

Back