ravenheat 85 problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had a loose pipe connection on my ravenheat boiler that was leaking water and sucking in air. Tightened the pipe but now the issue is that I can have the CH on or DHW but not both as this causes the boiler to go out. Any ideas as to why this is happening?

Sponsored Links
Makes no sense at all. The boiler only does HW if HW is running then reverts to ch if that's on.

ChrisR said:
Makes no sense at all. The boiler only does HW if HW is running then reverts to ch if that's on.

You obviously misunderstood. When the CH and HW are being used simultaniously, the boiler goes out i.e. does not fire-up and the red light comes on. I can have either DHW or CH not both at the same time

As Chris says, the boiler will only give hw OR ch. If on for ch and you turn a hot tap on the boiler comes OFF ch and onto hw.

The boiler will be firing exactly the same for either but the diaphragm will tell the dv which way to send the heated water, around the rads or through the plate heat exchanger, I assume this model has one and not a coil in coil heat exchanger.

Sponsored Links
gas4you said:
As Chris says, the boiler will only give hw OR ch. If on for ch and you turn a hot tap on the boiler comes OFF ch and onto hw.

The boiler will be firing exactly the same for either but the diaphragm will tell the dv which way to send the heated water, around the rads or through the plate heat exchanger, I assume this model has one and not a coil in coil heat exchanger.

It must be the way I tell em!
Let me try and make this simpler....

The boiler goes out..... as in, stops working as in... it does not heat ANY water at all (no CH and no HW) ...as in, the RED light comes on...as in the gas burner does not light..as in IT STOPS HEATING..

Any clearer now?

I dont think thats clear at all!

Why not make a series of logical statements?

E.g.

A cat is an animal.
A cat miouws.
A miaou is a sound
A sound is not a cat
A cat is not a sound.
An animal can be a cat.
A cat can make a sound and is an animal.
A sound is not an animal.

Agile said:
I dont think thats clear at all!

Why not make a series of logical statements?

E.g.

A cat is an animal.
A cat miouws.
A miaou is a sound
A sound is not a cat
A cat is not a sound.
An animal can be a cat.
A cat can make a sound and is an animal.
A sound is not an animal.

I'll give it one more go then move to another forum..
If I have the CH and the DHW on simultaneously (that means theres water flowing through the tap, that's actually turned on as in it's got water coming out of the tap) and the CH is also on (that means that the radiators are hot as there is water flowing through them) then the boiler goes out.
So, DHW flowing through a tap, boiler OK
CH on i.e. hot rads, boiler ok
switch on CH then turn on tap, boiler goes out.
If this is not clear then i'm off

I am left wondering if he disloged some connections to the diverter switches and reconnected them incorrectly.

Merely "tightening a pipe" could not cause that!

He is not very good at describing things!

Just how can anybody tighten a pipe? Unless its screwed steel that is!

Tony

Heres an interpretation

Set boiler to HW only and you get HW

Set boiler to CH and you get CH

Set boiler to CH and then turn a tap on and the boiler cuts out. Red overheat light comes on.

So after assuming I am right and moving on, what are the probable causes? Heres some ideas.

First thing on any modern Ravenheat is to eliminate the CH thermistor which may not be controlling the primary circuit properly.

With that eliminated look at the possibility of a faulty overheat stat.

Try turning the CH stat lower than its max setting and see how it goes.

Check the pump is on highest setting [3] after that I would be looking for a water flow problem. This is about the time to get someone in to look at it.

A common denominator is the act of changing from CH to HW. The diverter valve plays a key part in that so investigating its function could lead you to the cause.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back