ravenheat combi boiler rsf 820-20

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a ravenheat rsf 820 -20 combi boiler, the hot water was intermitent, called in an ex BG eng`, who replaced the diverter valve, worked for a short while, but not as it should, then a rumbling noise was heard , called eng` back who replaced the fan. All went well for a couple of days when the hot water was continously luke warm again as per original problem, called eng again who basically didnt want to know, leaving me with, IT COULD BE ANYTHING, and would be cheaper to buy a new boiler having already charged me £529 for the two jobs. Could anyone suggest what the problem might be, as I cant afford to replace the old boiler, thnx in advance, Edna :cry: :cry:

Sponsored Links
Well it obviously needs a competent boiler engineer to come and diagnose the real problem.

You seem to have chosen someone who is not any good at repairing boilers and no longer has the BG backup when he can't solve the problem.

He also seems to have charged ayou almost double what British gas would have charged you for a proper repair!

Its so much over the top that I would almost suggest you take him to Court for not repairing the boiler!

Overcharging is not a matter that you can complain about because you had the opportunity to ask about his charges before he started and are presumed to have agree to them. Not fixing the fault is though as he was engaged to repair the boiler. The £529 you paid him would have bought a new Biasi boiler in B&Q.

We would have charged £106 for repairing the diverter, if required, and about £95 for a new fan. But then we would have identified the real fault which might be scaling of the hot water path in the heat exchanger.

Tony

Never heard of a valance 820-20 :eek:

Do you mean a Ravenheat 820 or some type of Vaillant :confused:

Sponsored Links
Been drinking Dave?

Of course its a Ravenheat 820!

Happy Christmas!

Tony

Yes I have Tony, been round MIL all day :eek:

But how would one know that a 'valance 820-20' is definately a Ravenheat :eek:

To me a valance is sometning that fits on your bed :rolleyes:

Because an 820-20 is a Ravenheat!

And we know that you and Sooey know all about them!

Not sure what MIL is but I have been fitting a new bath today but come up against about three problems with the waste pipe.

Also need two side handles with 290 mm hole spacing to fit a Twyford pressed steel bath.

Trying to find an Indian restaurant open today but they all seem closed !

Martha's taxi is almost here early and it looks as if she is going to have to do some cooking!

Tony

Yes I know that we know what an 820-20 is, but where on earth did 'valance' come from :eek:

MIL = mother in laws :cry: :LOL:

Yes I know that we know what an 820-20 is, but where on earth did 'valance' come from :eek:

MIL = mother in laws :cry: :LOL:

Thanks for your useful comments Dave, perhaps you can give an explanation as to why the hot water is only luke warm, to a nurse who has worked all over the xmas period with 3 deaths on the ward, and just wants to come home and have a hot relaxing bath/shower. Edna

Hats off to you for doing the job you do Edna and having to work over xmas.

Firstly as I always say, you shouldn't have had to pay for this chaps incompetence. If this was me I would get your boiler fixed then work out what the cost was to actually fix the fault then reimburse you with the difference tothe £529 you had already paid :eek:

It could simply be the diaphragm gone, the new DV faulty, not fitted correctly or maybe a cheap copy valve rather than an original Ravenheat specified one.

If you run the hot taps does the ch flow from the boiler get hot? If so points to DV fault.

Hats off to you for doing the job you do Edna and having to work over xmas.

Firstly as I always say, you shouldn't have had to pay for this chaps incompetence. If this was me I would get your boiler fixed then work out what the cost was to actually fix the fault then reimburse you with the difference tothe £529 you had already paid :eek:

It could simply be the diaphragm gone, the new DV faulty, not fitted correctly or maybe a cheap copy valve rather than an original Ravenheat specified one.

If you run the hot taps does the ch flow from the boiler get hot? If so points to DV fault.

Thank you for that Dave have managed thru a friend to get an engineer who is coming to look at the boiler after the new year, will pass on your comments, and will post his findings, meanwhile off to work, Edna.

Whilst anyone recommended is good there are many boiler engineers who would come on Thursday or Friday.

Tony

Whilst anyone recommended is good there are many boiler engineers who would come on Thursday or Friday.

Tony

I have just had a plumber round to look at the problem with this boiler, he is suggesting it could be the domestic water thermostat, as it doesnt click when moved either way. He said the boiler is firing for both dhw/ch water together, or, independently, the needle on the diaphragm is connecting with the micro switch when hot water is called for, indicating the divertor valve is working. before I spend any more of my hard earned cash, does anyone think differently,the guys a friend of a friend, and a plumber not a CH Engineer, although he seems clued up, and didnt even charge me. Does anyone out there agree, or have an alternative suggestion. Thanks in advance, Edna.

gas4you said
You need to check this out, when the rads are cold run a hot tap and see if one of the big pipes coming off the boiler starts to get hot.

gas4you said
You need to check this out, when the rads are cold run a hot tap and see if one of the big pipes coming off the boiler starts to get hot.

Thank you so much for your suggestion, I will let the plumber know what you said, at least hes not trying to rip me off like the ex BG guy, :idea: if it turns out to be the DV, I will definately make him come back to fix what he fitted. Will post findings when known , meanwhile,Happy new year, Edna

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back