ravenheat condensing boiler firing up / cutting out.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a ravenheat condensing boiler. the boiler fires up for a short time and then cuts out. It will then fire up again and so on and so forth. Obvioulsy the radiators only get luke warm however there is hot water from the taps. The boiler however seems to correct itself when i run the shower for hot water for a minute or so. After turning the shower off the boiler remains on and the radiators get hot as normal. Any ideas how to correct this boiler without having to start the shower everytime. Note the boiler only starts when the shower is turned on , it won't start via the hot water tap. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
i have a ravenheat condensing boiler. the boiler fires up for a short time and then cuts out. It will then fire up again and so on and so forth. Obvioulsy the radiators only get luke warm however there is hot water from the taps. The boiler however seems to correct itself when i run the shower for hot water for a minute or so. After turning the shower off the boiler remains on and the radiators get hot as normal. Any ideas how to correct this boiler without having to start the shower everytime. Note the boiler only starts when the shower is turned on , it won't start via the hot water tap. Thanks.

Have your water pressure switch looked at.

Is it just me?.... I have difficulty in deciphering that lot. I'll try and break it down

i have a ravenheat condensing boiler. the boiler fires up for a short time and then cuts out. It will then fire up again and so on and so forth. Obvioulsy the radiators only get luke warm
I assume you are talking about the CH here and this is typical of a CH thermistor

however there is hot water from the taps. The boiler however seems to correct itself when i run the shower for hot water for a minute or so. After turning the shower off the boiler remains on and the radiators get hot as normal. Any ideas how to correct this boiler without having to start the shower everytime.
I'd be looking at the following now as possible causes
1 CH thermistor. Always number 1 fail point where a wet pocket type is fitted
2 Flow switch operation as already mentioned.
3. If your csi 85 has a piezo wire that runs through the condensate trap then the wire needs replacing with a standard ignition lead that does NOT stop off at the trap.

Note the boiler only starts when the shower is turned on , it won't start via the hot water tap. Thanks.
Again points to a flow switch problem or water flow problem, perhaps a blocked filter which is in the DV head inlet section. Look around there for any leaks and check microswitch operation. The head will rotate so you can watch the pin come out and operate the switch head when a tap is turned on.

Overall I feel that you may have more than one of the above problems but I won't rule out the fan mod board as Tony suggested. I am aware that these are becoming a problem now but I just havent come across a faulty one yet.

Is it just me?.... I have difficulty in deciphering that lot. I'll try and break it down

i have a ravenheat condensing boiler. the boiler fires up for a short time and then cuts out. It will then fire up again and so on and so forth. Obvioulsy the radiators only get luke warm
I assume you are talking about the CH here and this is typical of a CH thermistor

however there is hot water from the taps. The boiler however seems to correct itself when i run the shower for hot water for a minute or so. After turning the shower off the boiler remains on and the radiators get hot as normal. Any ideas how to correct this boiler without having to start the shower everytime.
I'd be looking at the following now as possible causes
1 CH thermistor. Always number 1 fail point where a wet pocket type is fitted
2 Flow switch operation as already mentioned.
3. If your csi 85 has a piezo wire that runs through the condensate trap then the wire needs replacing with a standard ignition lead that does NOT stop off at the trap.

Note the boiler only starts when the shower is turned on , it won't start via the hot water tap. Thanks.
Again points to a flow switch problem or water flow problem, perhaps a blocked filter which is in the DV head inlet section. Look around there for any leaks and check microswitch operation. The head will rotate so you can watch the pin come out and operate the switch head when a tap is turned on.

Overall I feel that you may have more than one of the above problems but I won't rule out the fan mod board as Tony suggested. I am aware that these are becoming a problem now but I just havent come across a faulty one yet.

YEEEEAAAWWWN.

He/she is not an engineer & probably cannot do the things that you have said, if you`re trying to impress other fitters on this site ( obviously) there really is no need.

It`s probably the water pressure switch.

He/She now knows what to expect and alarm bells will start ringing if a cowboy/girl gets his/her mitts on the boiler.
Never under estimate anyone or their ability to understand or carry out certain tasks. Just as toddlers dont walk into open fires everyone is usually aware of their limits. The ability of this OP would probably be revealed in their next post. I would expect most DIYers to be able to check at least part of the flow switch function without any need to be Corgi registered.
Most RGI's dont like to play with Ravenheats discarding them as rubbish. Whilst I agree that the LS series is a naff boiler; even they need fixing and its not nice to be cold and unwashed. Is it right that often the poorest people have these boilers and no one wants to or knows how to fix them?

if you`re trying to impress other fitters on this site ( obviously) there really is no need.
Cool I'll take that as a compliment. So now you know I don't need to impress you will understand that my main motives for posting here are
1. To learn more, even though I usually have to make a mistake to learn something and then suffer the embarrassment.
2. To help the cold and the unwashed.

For you to make a post like that it makes me wonder what your motives are?

When the water pressure switch goes on these usually the boiler wont even fire.

He/She now knows what to expect and alarm bells will start ringing if a cowboy/girl gets his/her mitts on the boiler.
Never under estimate anyone or their ability to understand or carry out certain tasks. Just as toddlers dont walk into open fires everyone is usually aware of their limits. The ability of this OP would probably be revealed in their next post. I would expect most DIYers to be able to check at least part of the flow switch function without any need to be Corgi registered.
Most RGI's dont like to play with Ravenheats discarding them as rubbish. Whilst I agree that the LS series is a naff boiler; even they need fixing and its not nice to be cold and unwashed. Is it right that often the poorest people have these boilers and no one wants to or knows how to fix them?

if you`re trying to impress other fitters on this site ( obviously) there really is no need.
Cool I'll take that as a compliment. So now you know I don't need to impress you will understand that my main motives for posting here are
1. To learn more, even though I usually have to make a mistake to learn something and then suffer the embarrassment.
2. To help the cold and the unwashed.

For you to make a post like that it makes me wonder what your motives are?

When the water pressure switch goes on these usually the boiler wont even fire.

Errr...I`m Bamber....Therefore I...am. the water pressure switch hasn`t gone. it still works, when the shower is being operated it requires more pressure than an open tap, that`s why the boiler fires when the shower is operated,

I didn`t know that you were so sensitive.

No need for the Monologue Dude :rolleyes:

Yer soz I did handle that differently to how I would normally. I just realised some of its to do with my Seasonally Affective Disorder and Blue Monday looming.

By
water pressure switch
you mean DHW flow switch
I took it as you meant 'LOW water pressure switch' which is not in question

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back