ravenheat rsf 82e hot water problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all, got a problem with my ravenheat rsf 82e. I turned on my shower this morning and after a minute where it usually gets hot, it did not. I went to the boiler and left the shower running and the boiler was not firing up. I then tried the bath taps and the hot water tap got hot including the basin taps so why not the shower? The shower is plumbed straight straight into wall and connected to hot and cold water feeds. Is it the sensor for dhw that is malfunctioning? If so why does the boiler turn on for dhw to bathroom taps and not the shower. Just to add the shower is not electric. Bw

Sponsored Links
Hi, thanks for advice so far...

Is there anything to indicate whether it is a CH/DHW sensor or the dirverter valve?

Any ideas how much this would cost for a plumbers job?

regards

BW

Turn on a tap very slowly and leave it when the boiloer fires up.

Measure the flow rate in litres per minute at which it fires up.

Also seperately run a basin tap on low flow while you have a shower and that is likely to trick the boiler into firing up.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that tip agile, I'll try and measure it very shortly,

I can remember from before though, as soon as you turn on the basin tap it comes on, literally less than a quarter of a turn but not however when the shower is turned on..

perplexing...

I'll get the litre per minute measured but I'm sure it's not much

Regards

BW

Or just descale the holes in the shower head!

HI all, as Agille directed I've measured the flow rate out of the taps and it is definitely greater than 3 litres a minute, probably 3.5. It was a bugger to measure but that's done now. I did incidentally check the boiler DHW and CH sensor and discovered that the DHW sensor had corroded quite badly. I've ordered one off a website and will fit it one evening this week.

The DHW sensor looks like it just screws in on the DHW circuit, is it literally a case of carefully removing the old one and carefully inserting the new one?

The main question I've got is do I need to drain anything down or should I literally be able to pop it in it's place bar a small few drops here and there?

Regards

BW

You need to turn off the water before touching the sensors. Its their resistance which is relevant not how they look.

It does sound as if the boiler diverter valve is starting to fail.

Try running a basin tap on half flow when you shower. How is that?

Tony

hi Agile,

I've tried that (running shower with H/W basin tap on and the shower works fine, does this more than likely not boiler diverter valve or could it be DHW or CH Sensor do you think?

Regards

BW

Hi all, I've ordered a DHW sensor and will replace this and see how all fares.. hopefully it will be OK

I'll update you all soon..

Regards

BW

Ben, how many times do we have to tell you that the diverter valve seems to be failing?

You said you "checked" the sensors! The only way you properly check a sensor is by measuring its resistance.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back