ravenheat csi85t faling to light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having gone through all ravenheat forums i do not seem to have found a proper answer to this problem.
Ravenheat csi85t will not fire up. after much diagnosis and cost of new gas valve (ravenheat tech advised) and air pressure switch it seem problem is air pressure switch is not reacting to change in air pressure flue pipe is drawing in air but switch not activating . if i blow across venturi i can get boiler to ignite but then goes off after a few seconds it seems that maybe chamber has an air leak as if i then seal pipe boiler stays lit until i can only think temp sensor kicks in will then not relight as it has to see open circuit on aps until fan starts then goes closed cct to active ignition.
sorry if this has been answered but i cannot seem to find conclusive answer.

derek

Sponsored Links
There is no conclusive answer without knowing exactly what is wrong in your particular case. I have not seen or tested your appliance.

There is also a further problem in your case. I for one, would not be prepared to give you detailed advice on dealing with combustion and safety related matters. That should be dealt with by a competent CORGI engineer.

Tony

why reply if not going to give an answer i am only trying to establish whether my diagnosis is correct

There is no conclusive answer without knowing exactly what is wrong in your particular case. I have not seen or tested your appliance. No one else reading this has either!

If you have replaced a perfectly good gas valve then I must conclude that you are not competent to diagnose boiler faults. Furthermore I dont know if you are competent to do that job safely and particularly to test for gas leaks or set up the valve. You dont just "bung in" a gas valve and walk away.

I still think it should be checked by a competent CORGI to ensure its safe!

Tony

Sponsored Links
gas valve was replaced upon advice of ravenheat technician however i took his advice and the fact that my local suppliers have sold these in plentyful amounts. i understand your reluctance but i am fairly confident in my diagnosis and at 4 pm on a friday and difficulty in getting any body to deal with ravenheat i had to go along with there recommendation and just to be on the safe side i purchased a gas leak detector before trying to proceeed any further with my fault finding. i think that the plenum chamber has a air leak which is why there is no pressure differential causing air pressure switch to activate i am only testing electrics with a multimeter to confirm my findings. hope this makes you feel more confident anybody in my area willing to repair boiler i am willing to pay however i have two children and hot water was main priority until monday when i can try to contact ravenheat again to establish fitters in my area. 4pm friday talking to technician at ravenheat phone cuts off redial offices are now closed what more can i say

Agreed with Agile... If you can check an APS; then surely you would not have even got close to the gas valve; let alone replace it during the fault find...

Additionally; there is never a conclusive answer in this technological world we live in; it's a bit of best guess gets it on some faults - When diagnosing via a computer screen; you just made the odds of getting it right 110% harder.

Although I don't like giving "tips" for stuff like this; get a CORGI Registered Engineer to turn up and take a look at the fan and venturi's - If the fan is not running fast enough; the venturi effect will not take place and thus the APS will not open (In which case; you need a fan, not a gas valve)... Otherwise it might just be a slightly blocked venturi or the APS has gone out of calibration - Whatever; it's in the combustion chamber; so it's imperative that only competent people work in this area; failing to seal it properly could be the end for you or your family.

How morbid am I today :p

By the way; a gas leak detector is not really suitable for tracing gas escapes on a gas valve union; this should be done with LDF in my opinion; plus the gas valve will require setting up in most cases with these appliances.

thanks gas aid i totally agree however previous my previous post may go some way to explaining my actions most fitters i have contacted will not touch ravenheat and as boiler is only 2 years old i am reluctant to replace ( fitted before we moved in ) i have checked venturi and air pressure switch both are ok pipes ok and switch operates with a slight air pressure across venturi rather than blowing directly into it i would conclude swith is ok.

Cannot check the APS I think he meant!

Spares places sell lots of PCBs which are replaced only to find thats not the fault.

Unless someone has the skills and experience to perform relevant tests on a boiler then its not possible for anyone on a telephone or internet to come to any conclusion what your problem is.

In front of your boiler I would expect to find the fault within 10 minutes.

Tony

thanks tony
however you are in london and i am in bolton sometimes desparate measures are called for and i totally understand need for regulation however i will try and get a registered engineer to come out anfd look at boiler however it becomes very discouraging when i keep getting i don,t do ravenheat mate.

and yes i can check an aps however following fault diagnosis with ravenheat it led to gas supply valve unit was trying to ignite at the time. it also occasionally lit for about 30 seconds then went out

If I hear it again where the manual or fault finding chart said that it was "x"... I think I'll cry :p

Manuals are an aid; not a walk-through... Otherwise I'd be out of a job.

If you are struggling to get an engineer; British Gas will work on RavenHeat's as an option for you... So will I; so pay us my travel and I'll be there :D

"Blowing at an airswitch" is not a proper technical test!

The switch contact resistances have to be checked first then the operating pressure and histeresis. That needs a digital manometer with sufficient resolution to read 0.68 mB or 1.33 mB etc.

The fan speed is less easy to measure but an idea of the condition of the fan motor coil can be obtained by an LCR meter reading if you dont have an optical tachometer.

Simulating the APS on test would have identified that the gas valve was not faulty had the APS itself been at fault.

I hope that its slowly dawning on you that fault finding on boilers is not just a matter of looking up fault finding charts, they may be a guide but thats all.

Suppose you were doing this as self employment? You would now have to pay for the unnecessary new gas valve out of your own pocket! Apart from spending so many hours on a £74 repair.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back