ravenheat rsf82e- Little red 'valve cap' on top of boiler??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

I think my Ravenheat's pressure problems seem to have sorted themselves out. I just have a small query about a part on the top of the boiler.

It's a little red 'valve cap' which screws onto some plastic (similar to car tyre valve just plastic instead)

The cap at this moment is screwed down, after reading this forum the consensus seems to leave the cap loose as it's an automatic air vent...?

Do I definitely need to keep it loose then and what would the implications be if it was left as it was screwed down.

Just to note this is not the expansion vessel cap it's on the top of the boiler.

Kind Regards

BW[/u]

Sponsored Links
Afternoon,

Does anyone have a vague idea after 17 views, it would be helpful to know :)

Regards

BW

No problems my friend, it will be loose later on when I get back home.

Thanks again

Regards

BW

Sponsored Links
It needs to be loose when bleeding the boiler/system then tightened up. If it's left loose it'll drag air in and cause other problems. The red plastic cap isn't designed to take system water pressure so if the auto air vent is leaking it needs changing, tightening the plastic cap would just be a quick fix temp repair.

In my opinion! I think other lads will disagree :D

It needs to be loose when bleeding the boiler/system then tightened up. If it's left loose it'll drag air in and cause other problems. The red plastic cap isn't designed to take system water pressure so if the auto air vent is leaking it needs changing, tightening the plastic cap would just be a quick fix temp repair.

In my opinion! I think other lads will disagree :D
It should be left loose.Think about it,The system is pressurised up to 1.5 times above atmosphere so how on earth will air be "dragged in" under these conditions.Leaving it loose allows the valve to act as an auto air vent.

Hmm I think we've had this conversation before :D You're probably right there actually, maybe tigtening it would be more relevant on open systems. I just can't see the point in auto air vents other than for when commisioning.

Sealed systems can still drag air in though can't they?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back