Radiator valve leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Took off a radiator to decorate and to install a new window above it. The new cill is sitting about an inch lower than the old one so the radiator has had to be moved down by the same amount. Nothing too major because it's microbore stuff so slightly flexible (I assume). The fittings and the microbore have enough movement in them so I didn't have to refit anything - just put the radiator back on and tighten everything up.

And now a leak! Tightened up everything just a touch more and still leaking but it seems to be coming from the top of the valve where the screw top is (the other side of the rad has the thermostat valve and that's fine). Not sure what it's called but the link shows an image of four valves and mine is the one top right.

http://img.alibaba.com/photo/51267541/Radiator_Valve.jpg

Underneath the white screw cap is a small flat 'blade' which slots into the screw cap. The water seems to be leaking from just around the edge of that section. Since re-fitting the rad this valve is on a very slight angle so I wondered if this could be an issue? Tried Fernox LS-X but the leak still seeps through.

Is a new valve needed?

Thanks in advance.
[/url]

Sponsored Links
I had a similar problem about 9.30pm one evening when I removed a rad to decorate. Tuned out the valve had sheared inside and I had to drain the entire system to stop the leak unti I could get a new valve the following day.

It's coming from the gland nut. Try either tightening it up (hexagonal nut around the shaft. Suggest you either tighten it up or remove it and pack it ie ptfe or jointing compound. Is your system gravity fed or mains pressure??

Gravity fed or mains pressure? Really coudn't tell you. How would I know?

***Sorry*** Ignore that. Just undone the gland nut (not sure why I didn't notice there was a nut there before!) and the water is seeping from inside there. The thread on the nut is slightly corroded so I'll pack it, tighten it and see how it gets along.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back