Rayburn Room Thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I have an oil fired Rayburn. It is controlled by a separate manual room thermostat and an electric HW and CH timer. I am keen to replace both of these with a new electronic thermostat/timer such as a Hive. Has anyone done this and can you explain how to wire the new thermostat? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Lots of people have done this. The new controller [e.g. Hive] would replace the existing "timer", and the existing room thermostat would be removed. However, removing the room thermostat would leave the wiring 'open circuit' and the heating would not operate. So, a link needs to be installed to bridge the wiring where the original thermostats 'live' and 'switched live' wires have been removed from. This completes the circuit and allows the new system to take full control of the time and temperature functions.

If you need any further assistance, once you have decided on which new thermostat you would like to go with, post back and include photos of the existing "timer", "room thermostat", and the wiring connected to both of their terminals, then someone will be able to provide you with further help.

The boiler you have isn't really on issue, as it's not being changed. It's the items that you are replacing / removing that are important as the new controls simply need to provide the same electrical control functions that are already there.

This enquiry would have been better placed in the plumbing and heating section as that's where the guys in the know about these things usually hang out, there's a good possibility they might not see it in this 'General Discussion' section. So I suggest if you do want further help, start a new thread in the plumbing and heating section with the necessary information /photos etc.,

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back