RC Plus

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My partner had his old (and fairly crappy) combi boiler replaced during the summer with a new (I think) Vailliant which has an RC Plus wireless thermostat/timer. Although I was given a very quick 'tour' of the RC Plus once it was fitted (he was at work), it's now several months on and I couldn't really remember much of what I was told. Although we thought the heating was off, it turned itself on in the early hours last weekend - yes the outside temperature dropped but he was asleep in bed until the radiators started making that 'ooh - hot water, haven't seen that for a while' noise: if you don't want the heating coming on at 4 am then you're not going to be impressed. He wasn't!

So, I've read the two different sets of instructions which came with the RS Plus but they're not really as clear or straight forward as they might be.

Here's my main points:

Is it possible to have the central heating turn off completely between the periods you want the heating on? It seems to give you blocks throughout the day when you have the heating on, and the lowest you can go to is 5 degrees. I can understand about frost control, etc, but in a terraced house in this country I think 5 degrees is a bit too high! We'd set it on 1 or 2 degrees at the most.

Because he's out at work all day - generally - I've changed it to three heating times rather than the six they default to; but this still means having the heating come on when he gets up then the next block just before he would leave for work - as low as possible - and finally coming on when he would get home from work until just before he goes to bed.

He kept asking if there was a manual override so he could just turn the heating on if he felt cold. This is what he did with the old boiler, which had a handy little wheel with those little pins which you pushed out or in depending on what was going on outside. Well, I don't know, because I couldn't find anything remotely like that in the two different sets of instructions we were left.

I also (after playing with the damn thing for about 40 minutes and discovering that what I thought was turning it off was actually putting it back to factory settings) wasn't able to change it to seven days, so at the moment he's got the same basic settings for each day of the week and will have to just put another jumper on if necessary.

Anyone got any suggestions for turning it off completely between the times you want it on, and a manual override? I'll have another bash at the seven day thing later ...

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is it possible to have the central heating turn off completely between the periods you want the heating on? It seems to give you blocks throughout the day when you have the heating on, and the lowest you can go to is 5 degrees. I can understand about frost control, etc, but in a terraced house in this country I think 5 degrees is a bit too high! We'd set it on 1 or 2 degrees at the most.
This type of control does not have an OFF position, it just has time and temperature settings. If you want the boiler not to come on, you have to set the required temperature below what it is expected to fall to. So you would set the last time /temp setting to, say 23:30 and 5C. If your heating comes on with this setting, I think you need to look seriously at the insulation in your house. You can get low cost and free insulation. Check out Energy Savings Trust Grant Search.

I've changed it to three heating times rather than the six they default to; but this still means having the heating come on when he gets up then the next block just before he would leave for work - as low as possible - and finally coming on when he would get home from work until just before he goes to bed.
Can you post all six time/temp settings?

He kept asking if there was a manual override so he could just turn the heating on if he felt cold.
You just increase the temperature by pressing the + button!. The display will change to show the set temperature while you are changing it and then revert to showing the actual room temperature. It will now maintain the new temperature until either you change it or the next time/ temperature point is reached.

Thanks very much for answering so quickly D_H; we both have old Victorian terraced houses and neither of us have cavity walls! Have to say, though - his house is warmer than mine, even though it's slightly bigger. Hate to think what it was like during the winter of 1947...

Hopefully, having the temperature down to 5 degrees as the minimum will sort that, and I'll let him know about just hitting the + button to turn the heating up.

I know digital/wireless stuff is supposed to be the future, but really - what's wrong with just being able to turn something off?!!

Thanks again!

I know digital/wireless stuff is supposed to be the future, but really - what's wrong with just being able to turn something off?!!
Nothing to do with the fact that it is wireless or digital. Think of it as automatic frost protection. Other thermostats e.g Honeywell DT90E have an OFF position, but the boiler will still come on if the room temperature drops below the frost setting, which is user adjustable.

Sponsored Links

Thanks again!

Its not the future, its the present !

Its a vast step forward for comfort to advance from simple on/off controls to something that, when set, will give you the temperatures which are best for whatever you are doing. 10° when sleeping and 21° when you are watching TV for example.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back