British Gas RC Plus Unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Scoured the forums for a while and couldn't find the answer I'm seeking.

I have been living in this house coming up to a year and a half and the heating is a bit awkward. We have a British Gas RC Plus thermostat(?) but can't seem to tell the boiler to start the heating at any temperature lower than 26 degrees.

I've looked through the device trying to see if there's a set minimum temperature but cannot for the life of me find anything. Could it be something on the boiler directly or is 26 what I'm going to have to deal with?

This is the link that I used for the instructions for the RC Plus (Heard that it's just a rebranded Drayton)

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
DO you mean you have to increase the temp on the start past 26 to get the heating to come on even though the house is colder than 26 already?

Yeah, so I will need to set the thermostat to 26 or higher for the heating to turn on. I checked the boiler and there is a heating setting on there, but it's set at 82 degrees Celsius which doesn't make sense to me. I have no idea about plumbing or heating so I'm sorry if I am missing something completely obvious.

The temp on the boiler is just how hot the boiler will keep the water in the rads while it is on . The thermostat is not in a hot cupboard or anything is it? Is it wireless? If you move it around does the temp change at all?

Sponsored Links
Can you get in this menu and see if the low set point is set at 26?

Installer Options. If you wish to change any of the Installer Options as shown below, enter the Installer Option Menu from Auto mode by pressing < and + simultaneously for 5 seconds. Pressing < and + again for 5 seconds will exit the Menu and return to Auto mode. Once the Installer Options screen has been selected (Fig:cool:, the < and > buttons allow you to scroll through the Menu (shown below). The + and - allow you to change values. Once a value has been changed pressing > before exiting the Menu will save the new setting.

Low and High Limit set points. The user temperature set points defaults are High 32ºC and Low 7ºC, to change these limits enter the Installer Options Menu (Refer to Installer Options 3 & 4).

I checked out the values and they're set to default (High 32 and Low 7)

Try same thing but in user option for set point temp. If that fails you could always reset the unit which is also detailed below but you lose your times that you have setup.

How to change User Options. If you wish to change any user options 1 to 8 shown in table 1 they can be accessed from Auto or Man by pressing < and > simultaneously for 3 seconds. Once you have accessed the user setting Menu (Fig 15) press > to scroll through selectable options 1 to 8. The settings for each option can be changed by pressing + or - as required. Press > to accept the change and move to the next option. To exit press < and > simultaeously for 3 seconds. Alternatively, not pressing any buttons for 2 mins will cause the Digistat+3 to return to Auto. (Fig 15a) shows option 1 24 (24 hour clock). Only selected options which have been accepted by pressing > will be changed. How to change from 24hr to 12hr clock (Option 1). Enter user options, select option 1 and use + and – keys to select desired option, 12 = 12hr and 24 = 24hr. Press > to accept change. How to change the default manual set-point temperature (Option 2). Enter user options, select option 2 and use + and – keys to set desired temperature. Press > to accept desired change. How to change to another predefined program 1, 2 or 3 (Option 3). Enter user options, select option 3 and use + and – keys to select desired program 1, 2 or 3. 1 = program 1, 2 = program 2 and 3 = program 3. Press > to accept desired change. How to change the number of program events per day (Option 4). Enter user options, select option 4 and use + and – keys to select desired option. 2 = 2 time / temp events per day, 4 = 4 time / temp events per day and 6 = 6 time / temp events per day. Press > to accept desired change. How to switch on/off the automatic summer / winter time change (Option 5). Twice a year the actual time is automatically changed to keep it in line with the summer / winter time change. Default setting is On. If you wish to disable / enable this feature enter user options, select option 5 and press – or + key to display Off or On as desired. Press > to accept desired change. How to change temperature offset (Option 6). The temperature displayed on the thermostat may not match that of other temperature measuring devices in the controlled space, because of its location. The displayed and set temperature may be offset to bring it in line with other devices. To adjust the temperature, enter the user options, select option 6. The temperature may be offset by +/- 5 degrees by pressing the + and – keys. Press > to accept the desired change. How to restore the built in time temperature programs (Option 7). Enter user options, select option 7 and use + and – keys to select desired option. Off = current programs retained. On = restore factory program settings. Press > to select the desired change. Please note enabling this function will lose any user changes to the preset programs. How to switch the Digistat+3 and heating system off (Option:cool:. To switch the Digistat+3 and the heating system off you need to enable the Off function. Enter user options, select option 8 and use + or – keys to select On to enable the Off function .The thermostat and heating system will now be Off unless the temperature in the controlled space falls below 7o C the frost protection set-point. The LCD will display Off and room temperature only and the keys will not function. To switch On the Digistat+3 enter user options select option 8 and use + or – keys to select Off to disable the Off function. The thermostat will now regulate the heating system in line with the currently selected program. Please note this does not effect the operation o

I can't change the set point temperature in the User Options. For some reason, option 2 for me is actually option 3 in the PDF. Rather than giving me a temperature to change, it cycles between 1, 2 and 3 which are the pre-programmed settings.

think there is an option in the installre menu you went in first to allow user to make changes. In fairness it maybe as easy to reset it.

Doesn't look like I have the option to enable that on this version of the thermostat. Here's a video of the settings that I get when entering the Install Menu.

Can't seem to see a factory reset or device reset option in the PDF either. Doesn't look to be a reset button physically on the device either :(

EDIT: I forgot to say thank you for also being so patient with me :)

You could try taking the batteries out to reset it and leaving them out for a while. But if you do you may reset the pairing with the receiver and I don't want to recommend that as it may not pair again!. I mean it should no problem but you know if it didn't then what.

Doesn't look like I have the option to enable that on this version of the thermostat. Here's a video of the settings that I get when entering the Install Menu.

Can't seem to see a factory reset or device reset option in the PDF either. Doesn't look to be a reset button physically on the device either :(

EDIT: I forgot to say thank you for also being so patient with me :)

Hi.

I'm having a similar issue as you. My current temp reading on the display is 31deg, but the actual temp in my room is around 9degs so to turn on the heating i need to adjust the manual temp to max 32deg. My settings are set out the same as shown in your video. It seems the RC Plus settings are different to the Drayton Digistat kindly described in the detailed instructions above, even though they appear to be the same model. I have a minimum setting set to 5deg (Option 4) and a maximum setting set to 32deg (Option 5) Neither are offset/calibration settings.

Tried changing the batteries, clearing dust from the display control unit, even re-connecting it to the signal box near the boiler. No luck :confused:

Would appreciate any advice how I can calibrate my RC Plus to read the actual temp.

Many thanks in advance. ;)(y)

Last edited:
Those programmable thermostats are absolute dire they compete with Salus at being the worst on the market, change it for something that will actually work

Those programmable thermostats are absolute dire they compete with Salus at being the worst on the market, change it for something that will actually work
Hi, firstly, thanks for your reply it's very much appreciated.

Forgive my ignorance, I'm a chef not a boiler man lol. Can you suggest any wireless thermostats that would work with my current signal box near the boiler. I've attached some pictures of my boiler info.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• IMG-20231014-WA0001.jpeg
    IMG-20231014-WA0001.jpeg
    209.1 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20231014_095832.jpg
    IMG_20231014_095832.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20231014_091955.jpg
    IMG_20231014_091955.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 43

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back