RCA/hdmi switching

P

Phill Peck

ive got 3 devices that use rca and 4 that use hdmi.

My tv has one composite input and 2 hdmi inputs.

I currently have a knock 4 way hdmi splitter which is supposed to be automatic but isn't I've tried a few but can't get the setup. I think it's because most of my devices are on standby so they are all giving a signal of some sort?

Anyway I'd like to have one box that all my devices went into and then onto the tv hdmi.

Is this possible?

Cost (within reason) is not the issue if just like something that works so when I turn on the blu ray(e.g.), it come up in the tv.
Devices are
(Hdmi)
Blu ray
Apple TV
Bt vision box
Apple Mac mini (this is currently on its own channel (hdmi2) and rarely used so least important)
(RCA)
N64
Sega mega drive
Another comedore emulator
None of these are used very regularly but I just can be bother unplugging things when I want them cos to is on the wall.

So if anyone could recommend a box that will achieve this please post it up.
If I'm leaving in a dream world of 1st world problems let me know

Sponsored Links
The sort of product you're describing is called a presentation switcher. To get one with the amount of inputs you're after then you'll be looking at the upper end of that market and spending in excess of £3000. The cost is partly about the inputs but also because of the features, many of which you won't use in your application.

You can achieve what you want with a collection of little boxes. By that I mean a remote controlled 4:1 composite video (RCA) switcher linked in to a composite-to-HDMI convertor. Next to that a 5:1 HDMI switch with remote control.

The final output of this hotch-potch goes out via a single.HDMI up to the TV.

Amazon and Ebay are both full of these types of decides, and the prices are around £30-£60 per box.

Depending on what you're watching you'll still need.to operate one or.two remotes for the switching plus the TV remote to select the HDMI input on the TV. Other caveats are the boxes would need to be in-line-of-sight for the remotes to work because the IR emitters are cheap and low power. It's a bit messy but would do the job cheaply.

Oh, and you're right about HDMI Auto Swithes not working because there still a live HDMI signal. Sky boxes are a usual suspect, so it wouldn't be a surprise if other devices do it too. That's why you need the remote.

For similar-ish money to the hotch-potch you could by a used AV receiver (home cinema amplifier) which would (a) have the correct number of inputs, and (b) convert composite to HDMI, andand possibly (c) scale all the signals to the TV resolution. As a side benefit you'd also have the heart of a fabulous surround sound system; far better than anything Currys/PCW sells. Just add speakers and you'd be in business. The rub here though is size. AV receivers with lots of inputs and the sort of cross conversion will have been top-of-the -range and so will also have high power output and the large amplification circuits that go with them. You're talking the size of a late 70's/early 80s VCR.

Thank you for the reply I think £3000 may not be "within reason"

Audio wise I have a cambridge audio system that I'm happy with.

If we ignore the rca stuff then I can get a cheap changeover box for this, could you recommend a good auto switching hdmi box?

As I said in my OP I currently have knivo one which is supposed to be auto switching but I always have to use the remote

Sponsored Links
HDMI auto switchers fall over for exactly the reason you outlined in your OP.

If the manufacturer(s) of one or more of your source devices don't build their HDMI ports to meet HDMI standards then the port could be always on. That means it is broadcasting a HDCP signal. A switch won't know when the source is truly off unless the HDCP signal is switched off from the source.

The bottom line is that no HDMI switch can overcome a duff source signal
You'll still have to use the remote.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back