RCBO Pods - supply and prices

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm replacing a shower and need to upgrade the 32A MCB to a 40A RCBO.

CU=Memera 2000 (MEM)

I was just quoted £69 + VAT for a 40A MCB and RCBO pod (£80.73), by Edmundson (inclusive of a 20% discount).

Is there an alternative?
Where is the cheapest place to purchase?

thank you

Sponsored Links
There seem to be two types on MCB from MEM with a huge price difference. These Are listed at £42 which does seem high I will guess obsolete.

However it is not normally as easy as a MCB change as with a 32A MCB you can use 6mm² but for 40A you need 10mm² so normally involves also changing the cable.

If the MCB's are obsolete then a consumer unit change may be better option but I am sure if you are changing a shower which is not like for like and also changing items in a consumer unit you will either be Part P registered or working through the LABC and likely I am teaching grandmother to suck eggs.

....thanks Eric. Max load will be 36A. The 6mm cable can take up to 46A I reckon. There are no de-rating factors and the run <5m.

...just a bit shocked by the price.

...coljack - if quality is variable, I don't think I'll bother with ebay - thank you anyway.

Sponsored Links
if you get one that's still in it's box and advertised as new or unused then it should be ok..
there's no guarantee that the one you get off the wholesalers shelf won't have been there for a few years or that it doesn't have manufacturing faults.

I doubt MK are type tested for a MEM board. If you think one place is expensive try elsewhere.

Hi All,

I'm replacing a shower and need to upgrade the 32A MCB to a 40A RCBO.

CU=Memera 2000 (MEM)

I was just quoted £69 + VAT for a 40A MCB and RCBO pod (£80.73), by Edmundson (inclusive of a 20% discount).

Is there an alternative?
Where is the cheapest place to purchase?

thank you

Have you annoyed Edmundsons by any chance?!? Either that or there just trying to rob you mate. Mem MBH140 mcb is between £8 - £14
Pods are a lot more but you should get both for £50-60 max
The reason i know this is because i buy the stuff at a wholesalers (not saying which one :) )

I have some. Please post a pic of your CU and see if there is a model/part no.

Are you competent to do this work?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back