rcbo s

Really hacks me off, it is usually the plumbers that muck my wires up!

It is everyone with mine plasterers, plumbers, tilers, tackers and chippys. And gas fitters, I chased out a brick wall above a c/u last week to fit a metal 2 by 4 trunking in to carry all the wires from the cu to the rest of the house, only took me 3 hours of hacking. I came back the following week to find the gas guy had installed his effing pipe in my chase. Luckily I carry a 25mm pipe splice.

Martin

Sponsored Links
Really hacks me off, it is usually the plumbers that muck my wires up!

It is everyone with mine plasterers, plumbers, tilers, tackers and chippys. And gas fitters, I chased out a brick wall above a c/u last week to fit a metal 2 by 4 trunking in to carry all the wires from the cu to the rest of the house, only took me 3 hours of hacking. I came back the following week to find the gas guy had installed his effing pipe in my chase. Luckily I carry a 25mm pipe splice.

Martin

Heh heh, that's given me a good laugh, both at the plumber's cheek and your solution! :D

It sounds like a line to earth fault on equipment or your neutral lead is not connected in properly on the neutral bar ( or line or neutral not tight or not in correctly in the rcbo itself) unbalancing your rcbo causing it to trip. Dont think it will be a problem on the N & E on the fixed wiring within the installation itself as it would trip before you switch any thing on at the socket

Sponsored Links
It could be a N-E fault on a TN-CS type system.
It could just be something not connected up correctly in the consumer unit.

It sounds like a line to earth fault on equipment or your neutral lead is not connected in properly on the neutral bar ( or line or neutral not tight or not in correctly in the rcbo itself) unbalancing your rcbo causing it to trip. Dont think it will be a problem on the N & E on the fixed wiring within the installation itself as it would trip before you switch any thing on at the socket

A N-E fault won't trip an RCD until there is current flowing on the circuit.

A loose line or neutral wouldn't cause it to trip. How can this 'unbalance'?

A N-E fault won't trip an RCD until there is current flowing on the circuit.

A loose line or neutral wouldn't cause it to trip. How can this 'unbalance'?[/quote

LOVE ROCKET

I tested my theory today an rcbo will trip when no load is on the circuit, I tried it on a protus c32 rcbo today, with no live or neutral in the terminals and the rcbo in the on position( with the functional earth and supply neutral connected) when a wire was bridged between earth terminal on the board and the load neutral on the rcbo it trips.

Reason. as there is no discrimination on where current flows, ie a low resistance path. The returning neutrals of other circuits through the neutral bar can pass throungh the supply neutral of the rcbo to earth( if there is a n to e fault) unbalancing the rcbo and causing it to trip.

This also works at any point on the circuit i tried

You were right though about the slack connections it did not cause the rcbo to trip

It could also work on any supply where bonding to metallic structures, pipes etc is providing a good connection to earth, and you're not drawing any current but your neighbours are.

Again, it's because you're providing a parallel path to earth for current to flow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back