RCCB kept tripping and then I discoved it was associated with one kitchen ring main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had my kitchen refurbished well over a year ago and never had any problems with the ring main which had been installed at the time until a few days ago when the RCCB tripped. With it are associated a number of MCBs so i set about looking for which one of them was responsible, and it turned out to be the ring main in question which I labelled "kitchen sockets".
When the RCCB tripped I had been using a multicooker but at very low heat, so it puzzled me that it should cause it to trip, particularly as I had used it on several occasions previously. I disconnected plugs from the sockets and kept them switched off, however every time I tried to switch the MCB back on , it switched back off again. Anyway, I left things for an hour or so and lo and behold the MCB stayed switched on so I was able to use the sockets once again.
Now I am no electrician and in no way would I try to dabble with anything, but i would like to understand what is going before I need to call an electrician. I am bit loathe to use the multicooker again in case that is the cause, so i would very much appreciate some advice. Thanks

I should add that all other small appliances work fine

Sponsored Links
The multicooker might not be the cause of the RCCB tripping even though the trip happens when the multicooker is being used.

In this diagram the multicooker is the load that appears to be the cause of the trip while the real cause is a fault on a different circuit,

This fault is often traced to dampness in an outside lamp
rcd trip 2022.jpg

Sponsored Links
You get what you pay for, using RCBO's costs more than a RCD with multi MCB's and many take the chance it will not trip or if it does there is a clear fault, I am lucky, I have a tester
VC60B.jpg
cost around £35 it is a cheap one, and I can test items, also I can test the leakage Testing voltage.jpg but without these tools it is hard to isolate what is at fault, specially with a earth - neutral fault. And since I have the testers I would use them, easy, but without these there is a lot of guess work, and it could be a combination of many things, under normal conditions we should not have over 9 mA of leakage, but when the consumer unit is fitted this is not normal conditions, not a single item plugged in, and I know in the past I have failed to measure background leakage. This house I checked whole house out of interest, 22 mA, not a problem shared between 14 RCBO's, but it would be with two RCD's, would need to be below 18 mA.

well i have used the multicooker twice today and had no issue. If it happens again, I'll call an electrician. Thank you all for your comments

somehow, I managed to delete the last post by mistake. It was giving me a link to find local tradesmen

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back