rccb tripping when boiler is trying to light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
woke up this morning to no power.
reset main switch no other mcb had tripped
all ok but when central heating or hot water demand comes on the whole supply trips everytime.
i have switched all off the other mcb's off exept downstair sockets and it still happens so it must be something that has happened to the wiring from the fused isolator to the control panel.

is this an easy fix?
anyone in wirral area to help
really need it fixed by tomorrow or no hot water for my 1yr old daughter
thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
It could be anything to do with your heating system, is it a combi boiler? Or a gravity fed type?
Have seen a couple of times a leaky gate valve dripping into a valve actuator, or a U/S pump motor, so may not be the boiler, need to know what type it is. Also, it may be an idea to have this moved to the plumbing and central heating section, if you click on the alert mods and ask I'm sure they will be happy to help!

If you've got an immersion heater, use that for now.
I agree with the above, could be anything in the heating system
pump, valve, boiler or the wiring.
In my experience this has usually been caused by a leak with the water running onto the electrics. The pump is your best starting point.

thanks had a look at water pump it was wet so i disconnected its wires and boiler didnt trip so looks like the culpret
i dont have a lot of time i work away and only have today to fix it
it has iso valves either side of the pump but i bet they wont hold so is it a full system drain down to change the pump?

is it a diy job or professional?
also what am i looking for when getting a new pump

the boiler isnt a combi we have gravity fed tank in the loft and a hot water tank in bedroom

thanks[/list]

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back