RCCB tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hope someone could help out. I had a lot of electrical devices plugged in the same extension lead. I turned a vacuum cleaner on and it caused the RCCB to trip. I tried turning it back on but it would trip immediately. I had to disconnect all electrical devices in the house to be able to turn the RCCB back on. Now it is on but as soon as I plug anything a bit more power hungry it trips.

The Fridge - it trips
Vacuum cleaner - Trips.
Sander or a power drill - trips.
The internet router and lamps are fine,
The computer is fine

Sponsored Links
The RCD (RCCB) or MCB trips? Sounds like you are correct in RCCB.

Are all of the things that causes it to trip plugged in on the same circuit? What happens if you plug, say the drill in next to the computer? Does it then trip or not?

the drill trips it on its own. Nothing else is pugged in anywhere. It also trips it when connected to any socket. It does not matter where I plug it. I tried with every socket in the house.No matter where I connect a more power hungry device the RCCB trip. It is not just the drill. The fridge. The vacuum cleaner. The sander is causing it to trip as well.

And what happens if you plug these things in without using the extension lead?

Sponsored Links
I am not using any extension leads. I tested ALL sockets in the house with different power tools. They all cause the RCCB to trip.

I am not using any extension leads. I tested ALL sockets in the house with different power tools. They all cause the RCCB to trip.
Do you have a cooker circuit?
If you do and you have a cooker switch/socket try that one as well.
Have you made any changes to the electrical circuits recently?

I suspect the fault has nothing to do with the appliances.

I suspect the fault is somewhere on that socket circuit, or possibly even on a different circuit which is still protected by that RCCB.

Have you done any electrical work in the house recently - any minor job could cause such a fault.

Any electrics outside getting wet?

right I have a cooker circuit but it does not have a socket. It is a box where the cooker can be permanently connected or not. It is not in use at the moment as we have an all gas cooker now.

We have electrical work going on in the first floor of the house. The first floor circuit is currently off however and has not been on for like three days. There is a refurbishment going on in the house. Nothing has been done on the ground floor of the house and those two are on separate circuits for the sockets.

right I have a cooker circuit but it does not have a socket. It is a box where the cooker can be permanently connected or not. It is not in use at the moment as we have an all gas cooker now.
I take it that the gas ignition is connected to the socket circuit and not the cooker circuit?

I had a look. the gas ignition is actually connected to the cooker circuit.

Is the unused socket circuit (upstairs refurbishment) protected by the RCCB in question?

So who thinks that only the live is disconnected on the upstairs circuit?

Who also thinks there could be a L - E fault on that circuit that is causing the RCD to trip?

I suspect the fault has nothing to do with the appliances.

I suspect the fault is somewhere on that socket circuit, or possibly even on a different circuit which is still protected by that RCCB.

Have you done any electrical work in the house recently - any minor job could cause such a fault.

Any electrics outside getting wet?

Would it matter that the first floor socket circuit is currently open and not functional? It is turned off at the breaker. and has been off for three days. The RCCB was working fine till about an hour ago and We had lots of power tools running today and yesterday off the Ground floor sockets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back