RCCB tripping

... after 'knocking off time', perhaps?
I thought about that. And then I thought about the fact that an electrician who had screwed up and left a customer with a major problem should turn out to sort it, even at 19:00.
Agreed - but (s)he would only become aware of the problem if told - and the OP gave no indication that he had been in contact with the electrician. ... and, before you blame him for not having contacted the electrician, don't forget that the OP did not believe that the problem could be related to the electrical work going on 'upstairs', because it was all 'switched off'.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Some people pretending to be electricians might not realise that.

But not actual electricians.
Unfortunately I know of two fully qualified electricians ( both are scheme members ) who could not understand how a Neutral to Earth fault on a non powered circuit could have anything to do with an RCD tripping.

They knew it happened so ( probably ) did disconnect the Neutral but they could not explain why they had to.

Unfortunately I know of two fully qualified electricians ( both are scheme members ) who could not understand how a Neutral to Earth fault on a non powered circuit could have anything to do with an RCD tripping.
Maybe time for me to repeat my story about the (again, scheme member) 'electrician' who tried, increasingly aggressively, to convince me that a second RCD was needed closer to an electric shower, because the cable run was quite long and "a fault current would therefore have fallen to too low a level to trip the RCD in the CU by the time it got there"!

There are, of course, many very good, competent, well-trained and knowledgeable electricians out there, but .... !!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Unbelievable! :LOL:
Indeed. A recurrent problem seems to be that, in recent years, even those electricians who have had an otherwise reasonable training often have not had an adequate education in basic electrical principles - as illustrated by the above story. In this context of RCDs, there are certainly some misconceptions, even amongst electricians, the most common probably being that a, say, 30mA RCD will limit the current through a victim who is receiving an L-E shock to 30mA.

Kind Regards, John

Sorry - disagree. Whatever bits of paper they had they were clearly not "fully qualified".

A recurrent problem seems to be that, in recent years, even those electricians who have had an otherwise reasonable training often have not had an adequate education in basic electrical principles
Then there is nothing about their training which can be described as "otherwise reasonable".

A recurrent problem seems to be that, in recent years, even those electricians who have had an otherwise reasonable training often have not had an adequate education in basic electrical principles
Then there is nothing about their training which can be described as "otherwise reasonable".
I could ask you what you understand by "otherwise" - but since I know jolly well that you understand my point, I don't really need an answer to that question!

Kind Regards, John

I understand your point. You seem not to understand mine.
I understand (and agree with you, and never said otherwise) that you feel that those without adequate knowledge of basic electrical principles are not adequately/satisfactorily trained, but that does not stop me making talking about the remainder of their training being adequate. As I implied, that's what "otherwise" means.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back