RCD before or after??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I have a general consensus here please. In running a sub main to out building (from non RCD protected way in main consumer unit) would you use an enclosure housing RCD in main build at transition from SWA to T&E (even though swa is ducted at req' depth & not exposed) and use enclosure or cu at outbuilding to house mcb's. Or just join in adaptable box and house rcd in outbuilding cu??

Also having never used 4 core 6mm swa, can anyone comment on the likelihood of me terminating(without horribly stressing) into MK insulated 2 or 4 module enclosure with a straight approach.

Thanks for your comments in anticipation guys.

Sponsored Links
provided the earthing is done properly having the rcd at the outbuilding end is not a problem and does make it easy to reset. On the other hand having the rcd at the house end does undoubtablly provide more protection.

i'd avoid terminating SWA to normal insulated enclosures if at all possible. Tough ip rated plastic enclosures and metal enclosures should be fine though.

btw why did you use 4 core SWA?

Sponsored Links
4 core used as I wish to switch a load from main building.
Steel wire as cpc, live, neutral, live from outbuilding circuit to be switched, switch live returning.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back