RCD changed when work done

So overall if, as seems likely the lights were originally not on the RCD, I have nothing to worry about?
That's probably about it. As eric has said, in 2001 the bathroom should have had supplementary bonding installed, whether or not there was an RCD - so, even though the current regulations are not 'retrospective', if that bonding is still there, it would actually be compliant with current regs without RCD protection.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
No it wouldn't. All bathroom circuits now require RCD protection regardless of bonding. You can omit bonding if all circuits are RCD protected, but not the other way around. Having said that, it's nothing to worry about.

No it wouldn't. All bathroom circuits now require RCD protection regardless of bonding. You can omit bonding if all circuits are RCD protected, but not the other way around.
True. I often forget that, since it seems surprising to me that it applies to all circuits 'in the location/room' (rather than just 'in zones'). In particular, I find it hard to remember (since it doesn't seem very electrically logical to me) that there is a requirement for RCD protection of light fittings, fans and pull switches, all of which exist only on an above-zones ceiling (as I've said, a shaver socket/light or mirror lighting etc. may change things). Whatever, apologies for having 'misled'. However ....
Having said that, it's nothing to worry about.
That we do agree about, particularly when the lighting circuit does not exist 'below ceiling level'.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back