RCD ELCB in new offices

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our landlord is just fitting out some new offices for us. We have one large office with maybe 12 double socket outlets around it (used for computers and electric heaters), one small kitchen with an electric water heater and outlets for kettle/fridge etc, and one small washroom/toilet with a second hot water heater in it.

We have asked if there is any form of RCD or ELCB protection in the distribution board feeding our new areas, and have been told no it is not necessary?

Does anyone have any ideas as to whether there should be particularly in view of the fact that we have water heaters and power sockets in the kitchen area?

Also can anyone tell me what the difference is between an RCD and an ELCB?

worried - Pete

Sponsored Links
When i was younger i was told that an E.L.C.B is an Extra large circuit breaker. It actualy stands for Earth Leakage Circuit Breaker, an RCD is Residual Current Device, in America it is called a G.F.I (ground Fault interuptor)

It is just a fancy new name for the same thing if you want to know how it works see http://www.mywatergarden.co.uk/rcd.html

as for fitting one it is a must for external sockets or appliances that will be used in, near or with water. i.e presure washer that is plugged indoors.

New installations must also have them fitted, but as you are having a refit i am not sure if this counts, you could always offer to pay for one.
Also you could use the plug in type if you are that worried.

Fridges have been known to cause them to trip "for no reason" this is becasue on starting the fridge compressor can generate a back feed.

You could insist your landlord supplies one, but he could insist that your computers go on separte clean supply which in reality they should. Offer to pay for a RCD (they do not cost much) see

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=14165&ts=51443 but it has to be the right physical size to fit the consumers unit or you may need a standalone one

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back