RCD on lighting circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had an extension done. The builder's electrician wired the extractor fan in the utility directly to a ring main via a 20A DP switch ie no fuse. When I queried this he said no fuse needed because 2.5mm cable used from switch to fan. He signed the work off and now have building control certe from local council for whole extension. Nothing from electrician himself - told by the builder that the electrician certifies online with NAPIT and then council issue the certe.

Still not convinced though - I think there should be a fuse to protect the fan? Now worrying about the general standard of the work. In particular no RCD on the new lighting circuit he put in for the extension - it serves the shower room including a light in the shower cubicle. Is this right?

Sponsored Links
Re the fan, what does the instruction manual for it say? If it says it must be supplied from a 3A fuse then it must.

I would expect the switch for the fan to be a fused spur.

I would also expect to see an RCD protecting a new circuit serving a bathroom, and also if some of the wiring is concealed and less than 50 mm from the surface, assuming no earthed mechanical protection has been provided.

Sponsored Links
Thanks All

Instructions say 3A fuse but he said fine because he used thicker cable - difficult for me to argue for that.

What's earthed mechanical protection?

He has not followed manufacturer's instructions as is a requirement of BS7671:2008 (The wiring regs.) and has also made a right pig's ear of it by the sound of it.

Call him back and ask him to rectify or call his scheme provider !

Thanks All

Instructions say 3A fuse but he said fine because he used thicker cable - difficult for me to argue for that.

What's earthed mechanical protection?

Earthed steel conduit.
Steel wire armour.
Pyro cable metallic sheath.

I doubt you have any buried in the walls.

Though a fan can't exactly be overloaded, I think it is generally the rule of thumb to fuse down via a switched fused spur. And it would be foolish to ignore the instructions. Many fans will have very thin wires inside.

Do you have reason to believe that he is a properly qualified electrician who is a member of a Competent Persons Scheme? Does he have any trade bodies or associations' initials on his business card, invoice or van?

told by the builder that the electrician certifies online with NAPIT and then council issue the certe.

That may be true of the Building Regs compliance (including part P) certification and the Building Regs Completion certificate. That has nothing to do with compliance with BS7671.

BS7671 REQUIRES the electrician to provide an Electrical Installation Certificate or a Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate, as appropriate, to the "person ordering the works", which is either you, or possibly your builder. Either way you should get a copy. If there is no EIC/MEIWC then the work does not comply with BS7671.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back