RCD on ring, and Plug top RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

We`ve just had our C/U upgraded, which obviously included RCD protection for the sockets.
The RCD on my mower seems to have died, ie the test not working any more so:
Is there any benefit from fitting a new RCD plug/ or using an adaptor in addition to the one fitted in the C/U?

Sponsored Links
How has it died... what symptoms ?

No cut off so the mower still works or no click in the RCD but the mower stops ?

When you test the mower's RCD does the main RCD in the consumer unit trip off ?

Possibly it has failed and needs replacing.

Some would say you don't need one specific to the mower now you have a RCD in the CU but as you have found out sometimes they fail.

Sponsored Links
Some reasearch suggested RCDs have a failure rate of around 7% (fail to operate in rated times not always fail to operate at all) .
I believe further rearch is ongoing.
If failure rate is truly around 7% then cascading two would reasonably give a failure rate for both simultaneously at around 0.49 %.
Which figure are you most comfortable with?[/list]

Im off to buy a new RCD plug then. Or i might put an RCD socket on instead then any tool I use outside is protected.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back