RCD protection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
during a periodic inspection, could anyone tell me what the status is for sockets which could be used for outside use and did not have RCD protection. would it be "not to current wiring regs" or "requires improvement" or could it be a general recommendation eg "you should consider fitting rcd protection to these sockets"

Sponsored Links
in a domestic premises i would say make it a 4 and idvise use of plug in rcds with all outside equipment until if and when it is corrected

4. does not comply with BS 7671: 1992 (as amended). This does not imply that the electrical installation inspected is unsafe.

An interesting one - lack of RCD protection does not make the installation unsafe, only certain uses of it.

IMHO, if you tell T.C.Mits that part of his installation does not comply with some BS that he's never heard of, but is not unsafe, he'll do SFA about it.

I'd go for 2: requires improvement

Just to annoy people NICEIC recommend code '1' (thats what they tell us anyways)

Sponsored Links
So NICEIC think that a house full of crumbling VIR, with no earths on the lighting circuit, 15A round-pin plugs and sockets, no supplementary bonding, the main earth provided by the water main which is now plastic, and signs of arcing and serious overheating at the fusebox is no more serious than ground floor sockets without RCD.

Hmmm....

well i hadn't even considered a code 1, how can they justify that? It must be a bit of a nightmare getting an inspection report from a niceic registered company....are niceic not answerable or accountable to anyone?

why do you put 15A round pin plugs and sockets in your list?

afaict there is nothing wrong with them

No fuse protection for the appliance flex.

OK - strictly speaking this is nothing to do with the fixed installation...

15A round pin sockets should be on a breaker that will provide that protection

putting 15A sockets on a ring is very dangerous practice though

im not sure what the specific regs are on breakering the things

but i wouldn't put them on anything more than 16A breaker and never more than a 20A

you can also wire them from a fcu and i know some installers who reccomend using them in this way for kitchen appliances so the only fuse is accessible

ban-all-sheds said:
So NICEIC think that a house full of crumbling VIR, with no earths on the lighting circuit, 15A round-pin plugs and sockets, no supplementary bonding, the main earth provided by the water main which is now plastic, and signs of arcing and serious overheating at the fusebox is no more serious than ground floor sockets without RCD.

Hmmm....

I really cant see your point...The guy asked a question to which got answered only. If the guy asked for a coding on other items I would of offered the NICEIC recommendations.

I dont always agree with the NICEIC, and never will do because the guys who call the shots have probably never seen a screwdriver....

They also recommend that no electrical installation certificate for a new rewire/distribution board install is a code '1'.......

The point I was trying to make was that a (1) is the most serious rating that there is. There is nothing "stronger", so anything that they regard as a (1) must therefore be as bad as they think it could get.

So they could not rate the problems of crumbling VIR etc as being any worse than no RCDs on the ground floor of an otherwise exemplary installation.

Madness

Just for example, what would you code these departures....

1) Earthing conductor not installed from suppliers facility to DB.
2) Main equipotential bonding conductor not installed to water/gas etc.
3) Supplementary protection not satisfied to sockets reasonably expected to power equipment outdoors.
4) CPC's incorrectly identified (ie, green only sleeve used).
5) Switch wires to lighting circuits not identified.
6) Cables not protected from abrasion on entry to metal back boxes / DB.
7) Dated VIR cables in use
8 ) Distribution board not or incorrectly identified.
9) Supplementary bonding not installed within bathroom area.
10) Any cable incorrectly rated/sized etc.

Just curious...... ;)

il78 said:
Just for example, what would you code these departures....

#1 1) Earthing conductor not installed from suppliers facility to DB.
#1 2) Main equipotential bonding conductor not installed to water/gas etc.
#2 or #4 - not sure 3) Supplementary protection not satisfied to sockets reasonably expected to power equipment outdoors.
#4 4) CPC's incorrectly identified (ie, green only sleeve used).
#4 5) Switch wires to lighting circuits not identified.
#3 6) Cables not protected from abrasion on entry to metal back boxes / DB.
#1 7) Dated VIR cables in use
#4 8 ) Distribution board not or incorrectly identified.
#2 9) Supplementary bonding not installed within bathroom area.
#1 10) Any cable incorrectly rated/sized etc.

Just educated guessing - no 2391 skills...... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back