RCD Socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Two questions really.

I have a double socket that I intend to use to power a washing machine/dishwasher.

Q1. The socket is faulty, in that only one socket works, I am going to replace it but wonder if fitting an RCD socket is of any benefit given the nature of what will be plugged into it. My house is already fitted with an MK Split CU.

Q2. Is it a problem having both devices plugged into the same socket? dishwasher is used twice a week maybe, washer usually once a week, never at the same time. I guess both could be used at once but would probably trip the breaker?

Sponsored Links
1 If the socket is already protected by an RCD, there is no need to fit another

2 If you run two large appliances off a double socket, the socket will overheat. For this reason it is better to put each appliance on its own single socket. However you can probably fit two singles, or a dual box. Assuming the existing socket is on a ring, it will have two cables going into it. If you replace the double with two singles, you put one existing leg into one socket, the other existing leg into the other socket, and link between the two sockets with 2.5mm cable - so the circuit is still a ring, but is now slightly longer.

Q1 - no benefit if the circuit is already RCD protected.

Q2 - The issue as you rightly say is both can be used simultaneously, a 13A double socket isn't designed to have 2 x 13A drawn from it. It won't trip the MCB if the MCB is 32A.

Cheers mateys,

Shall do as you suggest, just fit two side by side in place of the double.

Doubt it would be a problem as it is, but she might decide to use both at once one day despite my warnings.

Sponsored Links
Fitting two single sockets on the ring is one answer, I like to see a DP switch above the counter so I'd wire two of these to the ring and spur down to single sockets.

Bit of a strange setup with the washer etc.

They are located in the kitchen, PVC lined hole from behind the units goes into the garage where they are actually plugged in. Bit unconventional but it works. Also means two high load appliances are on a seperate ring too I guess.

horrible

so in the event of an emergency you have to run round to the garage to turn off the power.

Yeah.

Given that most older properties tend to have the socket for the appliance located behind it, it could be worse. Could always flick the apropriate switch on the CU if I need to shut it off THAT quickly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back